THIS.. is why I wouldn't use free apps with ads

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I have ads turned off (ROM feature) but.. lot of non root users..

cookies-cause-bitter-backlash: Personal Finance News from Yahoo! Finance

My favorite is the Flash based cookie that, if you delete it.. re-spawns itself without you knowing it. NICE :icon_evil:

And yes, the article is droid (smartphone) related. :)

Well, that's your decision and I wouldn't argue with it. Still there are plenty of apps that advertise I have confidence in.

And I do have to point out that it didn't specifically say Droid, or Android. It mentioned iPhone. But I get your point, if it's happening over there it's more then likely happening here.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
ehhhh...so they know what pron sites I visit....lol

OP
xkape

xkape

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Yeah I just worry about stuff like this because while I am aware it's nothing that's going to "kill me". It's the beginning. The "bad guys" are always one step ahead. It's moderate at best right now and it's ads. So what's next? trojan horses and viruses? I would have to assume, and I do mean just..assume.. that our phones would be more exposed to attacks than say a computer because we are not behind a firewall and we have no antivirus protection.
There's no Norton to say.. hey this file is trying to access "whatever" or "this program contains a virus".

techguru

Reaction score
Except that there are protections available. Lookout, and I just saw that Norton is releasing AV for Android. If there isn't firewall software already, someone will release some. Should be easy in Android since it is Linux based and firewall is baked into most Linux distros.

KevinJ

Reaction score
Nothing against those who would use it, but I would give up my photo completely before putting anything Norton on it.

I've had enough computer problems in years past when I used their stupid software. :rolleyes:

joeybarclay

Reaction score
i block ads to but now app makers are finding ways around this most of my once adfree apps have ads now. example appbrain

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
Nothing against those who would use it, but I would give up my photo completely before putting anything Norton on it.

I've had enough computer problems in years past when I used their stupid software. :rolleyes:

I've had it on mine for a few hours now and no issues yet. I can safely say that at this point, it's nowheres near the bloatware the PC version has become. Although I hear the latest version is somewhat decent. I don't know as I use the free Microsoft Security Essentials on my PC, works okay for me.

techguru

Reaction score

I've had it on mine for a few hours now and no issues yet. I can safely say that at this point, it's nowheres near the bloatware the PC version has become. Although I hear the latest version is somewhat decent. I don't know as I use the free Microsoft Security Essentials on my PC, works okay for me.

I have had a lot of issues with Norton, but really more with the Internet Security Package. If you just us the AV, it is similar to all the others. They have all gotten too big just because there are so many Windows viruses they need to watch for.

I too have switched to Microsoft as it seems to use the least memory and CPU and does well in comparison tests.

Alan

NVash

Reaction score
Friend of mine had some ad-based software awhile ago and apparently he ended up getting a Pop Up Ad on his phone no matter what he was doing at a certain time of the day. Another friend ended up getting the same but his just appeared out of nowhere randomly. I dont really mess with ad-based software but at the same time Im careful about what apps I pick. Think they told me the soundboards messed them up. After two times of wiping ones phone he or she would get sick of it and try to be as careful as possible. Dont really need soundboards for one. Most of the ones I had just took up space. They were good for a quick gag but thats it. I do have some ad-based software but those I trust.

NVash

Reaction score
Doesnt sit well at all. Wish they said what apps did that or even which ones the 358 were so I could avoid them.