This battery is kind of iffy

jdw10100

Reaction score
I've had the X for a few days and it seems i can barely get through a work day without it coming very close to dying. I turned all the live wallpapers off and keep the internet accessing apps to a minimum but it seems to die anyway. the first day i had it i listened to pandora for like 3 hours and that was the only day it didnt come close to dying......any solutions to this problem? does it still have to go through charging cycles or whatever?

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
You can try running the battery all the way down until it shuts down. Then charge the battery all the way up. This supposedly calibrates things.

Other than that, I'm supposing one or more of your apps is sucking too much juice. After the phone has been unplugged for a while, go to phone settings and find "what is using my battery". This will tell you what's using the most. The top one is usually Display. Sometimes "MediaServer" is high up on the list. This is an internal process but it is used by other apps, so if MediaServer is the problem then one of your apps is streaming too much data. I would try removing some widgets and apps systematically to find the culprit(s).

Kandiru

Reaction score
Rule #1:

Turn off GPS satellites.

Rule #2:

No ATK , aka advanced task killer.
It even killed my protection software:)

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
Good point about the GPS. However I leave the phone setting for GPS on. I just watch what uses GPS. When you're done using maps, press your phone's "Home" button so that Maps stops using GPS. Watch for the GPS icon in the top notification bar.

And I'm picky about apps. I don't like: apps that run on boot without a good reason. After a reboot, I often check what's running. If any new apps are there, I uninstall that crap and find a better one. Some apps, like K9, should run on startup but most, for me, should not. Don't kill tasks! Uninstall crap!

Last edited:

dangerous

Reaction score
Rule #1:

Turn off GPS satellites.

Rule #2:

No ATK , aka advanced task killer.
It even killed my protection software:)

so. you are saying to NOT use ATK. that was the first app EVERYONE said i "Had to have" and the second was Appbrain.

Ok.. I am disabling it....

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
Some ideas are like a cancer. Task killers and antivirus on android are not needed.

task killers: android has a built in one

antivirus: there are no known android viruses

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
so. you are saying to NOT use ATK. that was the first app EVERYONE said i "Had to have"

Not everyone says that....Just the one that don't know any better.:icon_ banana:

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
User guide for android newbs:
1) DON'T listen to the guy at VZ and your cousin about how you need to kill tasks
2) DON'T use the stock email client. Use the Gmail app, K9, or touchdown
3) Download other browsers, like Dolphin HD and xscope, and set user agent to Desktop/Computer
4) Watch out for the GPS icon in the notification bar at the top. It really uses battery power. When you are done with Navigation, choose Exit from the menu. When done with maps, press your phone's Home button to tell it to stop using GPS
5) When installing apps, watch what privileges you are granting! Why is your wallpaper asking to access your contacts? Also watch for stuff that runs on startup, including widgets, which can take a toll on battery charge.
6) Try to find your answer using a search engine

Last edited:

bigdog9586

Reaction score
I'm guessing before long there will be a extra capacity battery availible for the DX. It will come with a different cover to take care of the thicker battery.

cloutier

Reaction score
i've had my phone for a week and a half, and, on average via one charge of about five hours, my phone lasts for about 20hrs.

seriously have no idea what people are doing on their phone to have it die in under 12.

Lukerative

Reaction score
20 hours still sucks... I think. I dunno, DX is my first smartphone and for the last 4 years I've been using phones that I only need to charge once a week, so that'll be a change. And I know there have been countless threads about battery this and battery that, so I won't start that. Just sayin.

cloutier

Reaction score
coming from an iphone that you had to charge every 12hrs? its a ****ing blessing.

why do you need a phone to last four days on a charge? i'd love to hear the reasoning behind it.

Lukerative

Reaction score
I am not at all saying it's necessary. Just what I'm used to. It's just a whole different world moving from a phone to an "everything phone".

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
Before the droid I was using an ollllddd Motorola as a "temporary" replacement phone. The battery was half shot so I had to charge it every night, all night. Perfect practice for a smart phone.

I'm trying to get in the habit of charging it whenever I get a chance. I think that the way batteries work, this shortens the lifespan of the battery, but I think it's worth it. I'll just buy a new one or get a new phone. At least with the droid I can easily swap batteries. iPhone...not so easy.

garath

Reaction score
I've only had mine for a week but outside of the first day it's been pretty good. It's not like my Storm where I can go the whole day and throw it on the charger before bed at 70% but I make it from 8am until 11pm and usually have 30-40% left. I'll call it light to moderate use. Plenty of emails and text messages, a phone call or two, some kindle, maybe some nav, browsing, etc. It's definitely not idle the whole day but I'm not using it every minute.