Third Party Batteries wont charge...or NOT?

jimisbell

Reaction score
I have two Chinese batteries that were part of a kit of accessories. I didnt buy the kit for the batterues so if there is no solution I wont be devastated, but its a puzzler.

How does the X know that the batteries are not OEM and is there a simple hack to make it think they are?

The message displayed seems to indicate that the charger is NOT charging the battery, and the level indicator displays a question mark. Is it really not charging, or just telling me that to get me to get a real OEM battery?

BRUTAL BROCK

Reaction score
Same here. I sbfed back to 2.1 awhile ago for rom reasons..and i had the aftermarket battery..and it was reading it. Went to 2.2 again..never read after it again.

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
New batteries contain IC hardware to prevent exactly what you're trying to do. I'm not sure how Sedio gets around this, but I'm sure there's money exchanging hands somewhere. One of the way Moto protects itself from battery-related warranty issues is to chip the batteries in this manner.

I dont know of any hacks to make that type of battery charge -- the only way you can be sure it's charging is to stit it on the charger -- if it still works in 24 hours, then it's charging.

OP
jimisbell

jimisbell

Reaction score
What is the advantage of 2.2? If there is none I could switch back to 2.1 and not worry about 2.2. How did you switch back to 2.1?

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
2.2 has Flash and a number of UI and application tweaks.

Not sure how to roll back to 2.1 on the DX -- I'm sure someone else here can help you.

qman66

Reaction score
the battery does not charge on 2.2. it did on 2.1 and worked normally. since 2.2 the battery bar is black and has a question mark and goes from 100% to 0 and does not read how much it has left. You can charge the battery with a separate battery charger which mine included, I bought it from eBay.

OP
jimisbell

jimisbell

Reaction score
So by going from 2.1 to 2.2 I lost the ability to charge the battery. What did I gain...anything important?? Maybe I would be happier to swap back to 2.1 ???? I have no idea if 2.2 brought me anything more important than being able to charge the phone with a third party battery.

This is obviously a software change that could be hacked if someone wanted to dissect 2.2 and make an upgrade.

Maybe I will wait till the software is hacked.

Last edited:

barski

Reaction score
not to bring up 2 old of a thread but i just noticed when i plugged my droid x into my computer in pc mode with the generic battery in it shows the battery percentage on my pc. Still shows a question mark on my droid x.

OP
jimisbell

jimisbell

Reaction score
I noticed that several of the APPs that read battery charge also show the charge on the third party battery. BUT...I also noticed that the non OEM batteries go dead overnight even though the phone is turned OFF. But they don't go dead if left OUT OF THE Phone. Seems like maybe Motorola rigged the thing to drain non OEM batteries if left in the phone!!!