third party apps

Phuzzie

Reaction score
Ok so I've damn near been to the end of the android market...so What I'm wondering is where is there a good similar place to download apps from like over the air like on blackberrys?

Silver Member
Reaction score
you mean an outside market, not a third party app. essentially all apps downloaded from the marketplace are considered third party. furthermore, apps are installed through an .apk, which has been covered on this site quite a few times.

there are plenty of "other" resources for obtaining apps outside the marketplace.

my guess is that you really haven't seen the ENTIRE marketplace, or else you may have found this out already.

gatewayad

Reaction score
Plus the market is open source, so unless an app is in alpha the developer will or (should) have it in the market. Androlib.com may be what you are looking for i know there are several apps there that may not be in the market yet but most will be the same.

OP
P

Phuzzie

Reaction score
alright maybe I have made some confusion...here's my example...I have this app I downloaded called drivesafely...you can get it here Free Mobile App Stops Texting While Driving - DriveSafe.ly ...It's an app that autosend people who text you a personalized "I'm driving and cant answer" message back...it also reads it allowed to you so you don't have to accually look at your phone...but the way I had to download it was by going to the site...I'm looking for more places to download like this...not just browsing thru the marketplace... :icon_ banana: dance on that banana

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
alright maybe I have made some confusion...here's my example...I have this app I downloaded called drivesafely...you can get it here Free Mobile App Stops Texting While Driving - DriveSafe.ly ...It's an app that autosend people who text you a personalized "I'm driving and cant answer" message back...it also reads it allowed to you so you don't have to accually look at your phone...but the way I had to download it was by going to the site...I'm looking for more places to download like this...not just browsing thru the marketplace... :icon_ banana: dance on that banana

I understand what you mean. I've downloaded a couple of apps like this myself.

Unlike Blackberry you will not find a site with all kinds of apps for Droid on it, at least not that I know of. Your best bet is to just keep coming back to the forum and see what people find new. Then go to the linked web pages and download if you like.

I really don't even remember what the apps were that I downloaded, but I do know that they required I change the file to .apk as mentioned above.