thinking of moving from X2 to Droid 3 for the keyboard

IdaBoy

Reaction score
I am thinking :unsure: of moving from X2 to Droid 3 for the keyboard, and was hoping for any input on what to look out for. The touch screen keyboard :icon_cussing: is my main pain because of my big hands and fingers, and I think the physical keyboard will help.

GoCliffGo05

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 7
A physical keyboard may help, sure. Have you ever though about just going with a larger phone? Like the Note 2?

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

OP
IdaBoy

IdaBoy

Reaction score
No I haven't. I have seen but never held a Note ii in my hand. The Droid X2 is getting a bit large for the shirt pocket and I know the Droid 3 is a bit heavier, which I think will be a good thng also.

Lyndylulu

Reaction score
I've always had a phone with a physical keyboard, but recently I don't use it much. Swype is pretty nifty, and a stylus pen helps with fat finger syndrome. I am not going to get the physical keyboard with my next phone, just one with a bigger screen.

OP
IdaBoy

IdaBoy

Reaction score
I will check into the stylus pen but to be honest if it's just another thing to get lost it may not work out for me. So far I actually like the phone and I think the extra weight helps. Good responce from screen but the home keys lack the responce to my touch.

Gary_D

Reaction score
I got a Droid 3 thinking the same thing about the keyboard and I've never used it, I found Swype to be what I needed and also the speech to text works real good too, and i'm a big guy and it hasn't been a problem using Swype, in my opinion once you have the keyboard memorized you barely have to look at it to text

I NEED COOKIES

themib

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid 4 (XT894)
I like the d3 keyboard,
but the best reason to switch from dx2 to D3 is that there is a compatible safestrap 3

OP
IdaBoy

IdaBoy

Reaction score
I am still a bit hesitant in installing or changing my phone. I am dependent on my phone daily for work, so I can't afford a screw up and a bricked phone. Although I have 2 stand by phones from my days with Verizon, I still like my Droid.

themib

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid 4 (XT894)
the great thing about safestrap 3, is you can leave your stock rom, the custom roms install on the internal memory card
I have flashed several roms on my d3, and haven't had to wipe my stock rom or recover with a sbf flash
main issue from switching back and forth, is keeping call log/texts synced. I use sms backup + which automatically backs them up to my gmail, then just need to restore when I switch roms, or just read them in gmail/sms folder

OP
IdaBoy

IdaBoy

Reaction score
If you know of a link to fully explain this procedures please drop a link in a reply, I may just get the motivation to try this one. Something that tells what all you need as far as be rooted etc...
Thanks in advance.

alowbman

Reaction score
I suggest skipping the DROID 3 and going to the DROID 4. 4 is running ICS and is 4G. It also has physical keyboard. You can pick one up fairly cheap these days. I also rely on slide out keyboard for email and text. My wife has the 4 and it is a pretty solid phone.

Sent from my DROID 3 Door Stop.

OP
IdaBoy

IdaBoy

Reaction score
I am using Page Plus as my provider so I am not getting 4 G for now. Actually 3 G is good for us, since we had satellite for years here at the house and we are sure use to slow internet.

boredombulker

Reaction score
dont do it

I am still a bit hesitant in installing or changing my phone. I am dependent on my phone daily for work, so I can't afford a screw up and a bricked phone. Although I have 2 stand by phones from my days with Verizon, I still like my Droid.

my advice.... DONT DO IT!!

the droid 3 is a POS!! I bought this phone when it first came out and paid over $400 out of pocket because i specifically wanted the physical keyboard. let me tell you my experience.

After a few months they keyboard inputs letters that you dont even type. for example if I tried to type the "super" it would type " supper" it constantly duplicates button pushes so i was forced into using the on screen keyboard.

HA! ! That works but it is a PITA as well. mine just loves to type the letter " P " when im not even anywhere close to that key. i cant type "car" and it will type " carp" ... it even with the phone turned sideways and im a good texter the keyboard is always inputting letter that i dont want. thats just the start. after about a month of using the on scree keyboard now sometimes when i go to type the on screen keyboard FORCE CLOSES!! it is sooo annoying. i have tried factory reset several times. does not fix it. so im forced to write my sentences then go back and remove the excess letters that it decided to type. WAIT!! NOT DONE!!

A few months back i realized after trying to talk to someone on speakerphone that my mic no loner works ONLY in speakerphone mode. it works during normal calls and voice input apps and i even tried an app that checks everything on ur phone. says my.mic works fine. but not when speakerphone is on. this seems to be a software or firmware issue. again, resets will not fix it. WAIT!!! not done.

the phone turns off for no reason... ill go to open a web page and it will just restart.

the web browser will not even play videos. i have tried the stock browser, dolphin browser, opera etc... i cannot play videos. the phone will freeze up and force close. sometimes it turns off.

this is just MY EXPERIENCE but i would stay away from any DROID MADE PHONE. i.e. droid 1,2,3,4 , razr, bionic etc...

i have had several other droids made from different manufacturers and although no phone is perfect this one is by far the worst ive had.

even the mytouch 3g from tmobile was better than this POS.
I really liked my g2. this phone....JUST BAD!!!