Thinking about replacing my Droid X with a Maxx. Have some questions.

renthorin

Reaction score
Hey all. The wife and I are thinking about getting new phones (both have the DX) and I have some questions. My local verison authorized dealer didn't have one that actually turned on and I haven't been to my beloved V store yet. Sorry if these are lame :)

1) does it have LED notification? I currently have: nex text, missed call, email..etc that are different colors. I hear the Iphone doesn't have LED and hope the Maxx does.

2) I'm rooted and I see others have rooted their maxx. I assume it's as easy as it was on the X?

3) may apps - do all apps that work on an X work on the maxx? I don't have anything fancy, but do have some paid ones.

4) is there a way on the maxx to disable built in aps you don't want running? The stock music player is the big one. If not, I can root and freeze.

5) do they have ottor boxes for the maxx? My wife like to toss her phone around : - (

Other than that, are there any prior X users who made the switch and want to chime in on the experience?

I'm on rooted GB and my wife is on Froyo (she didn't like GB). I hear they will soon have ICS.

thanks,

Will

xtor

Reaction score
I went to razr from x, razr is a great phone, it does have led notifications (colors), screen is better,3g on razr is faster then the x and 4g runs my ps3 for online gaming with no problems, you will be very happy with the maxx, hope this helps. Tossing a razr or maxx around is not recommended!, they do make otterbox for razr and maxx, i have one on mine + otterbox has great customer service and warranty's on there products

Last edited:

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
I have the X, and the X2, bionic and 2 maxx's. The maxx will run every app the x does and more, its dual core.

Its not to complicated to root the razr maxx, though I haven't done it.

Yes they make otterbox defenders for the maxx, they also make a colored commuter for it. And the customer service is awesome.
In my opinion, the maxx will knock your socks off. I did for me. But its relative.

DROID RAZR MAXXAMIZED!!!

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
xtor said:
i went to razr from x, razr is a great phone, it does have led notifications (colors), screen is better,3g on razr is faster then the x and 4g runs my ps3 for online gaming with no problems, you will be very happy with the maxx, hope this helps. Tossing a razr or maxx around is not recommended!, they do make otterbox for razr and maxx, i have one on mine + otterbox has great customer service and warranty's on there products

+1

droid razr maxxamized!!!

hasbrobot

Reaction score
Go for it!

I came from the X and absolutely loved that phone. However i'm so glad I made the jump, this phone has one of the more solid builds of Android i've used to date. Its awesome, I promise you won't regret it.

OP
renthorin

renthorin

Reaction score
Thanks for the votes of confidence in the maxx : - )

My wife has an extended 1830mah battery in her X and that barely makes it a day. Hoping the maxx will do better. we don't have 4g out here so I'll just disable that, assuming I can.

It comes with GB right? I think ICS is on the way, and I suppose I could just load a leaked version. I did that with my X and was happy.

Will

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
renthorin said:
Thanks for the votes of confidence in the maxx : - )

My wife has an extended 1830mah battery in her X and that barely makes it a day. Hoping the maxx will do better. we don't have 4g out here so I'll just disable that, assuming I can.

It comes with GB right? I think ICS is on the way, and I suppose I could just load a leaked version. I did that with my X and was happy.

Will

You can select CDMA in the networks setting.

It comes with GB, ICS supposedly by the end of June if not before. Moto just updated their ics release schedule, and it shows Q2 for razr/maxx.

DROID RAZR MAXXAMIZED!!!

Reaction score
I went from the X to the Bionic, which I regretted dearly. I went from the Bionic to the Nexus, which I was again disappointed. I loved the unlockable bootloader and the fact that the Verizon bloatware was very minimal, but connectivity was terrible. So, I went to the RAZR and never looked back. It's all they say it is and more. ICS will make it that much sweeter! :)....I say definitely go for it!

xtor

Reaction score
I added a line just to get the razr, my x had a screen glitch, i have a upgrade on my line next month and will be getting my wife the maxx to replace her x, i have no issues with my razr battery, but uses her phone more then i do, she will love the maxx, she really likes the mirror mode that my razr has.i loaded movies on my old x for the kids,and let them watch movies on it

pookie

Reaction score
I went from the X to the bionic as well. I wanted a 4g phone as close to the X as possible and at the time it was the bionic. I had so many issues with that device that Verizon got sick of me calling and offered me the Razr. The Razr is a very good device. Everything the X is and more. I would like the Maxx for the added battery but unless I use it heavily my Razr will go a day easily. My Razr has some glitches since the last update but nothing major. Good Luck!

doug494

Reaction score
I just went from my X (running Vortex) to the Maxx a couple weeks ago. I would not have switched, but needed a world phone. Haven't rooted yet, may wait for ICS before I root.

It is large, but still fits in my front pocket fine (I don't like holsters)
I have the otterbox commuter and it works well without adding much bulk (My X never had a case)

Otherwise, its a bigger screen, better screen, battery life is better (and I had the extended battery for the X), and everything I have installed so far works great. Even installed colornote and restored from the datacard backup off of the X.

There are a few things I had on the rooted X that I have not found yet duplicated on the Maxx, but I haven't searched hard for them and I'm sure the devs will make it possible.

OP
renthorin

renthorin

Reaction score
I'm liking the maxx more and more. I'm officially sold on it, now just need to find the best deal. The local VW shop (aurhorized retailer) wants 299.00 for it....bleh.

Side question - I use Titanium backup and I assume it stores those on the removable card? I am running some older versions of software as I didn't like the upgrade version. If I install fresh on the maxx...can I 'restore' the older version from the card after?

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
I had a Droid X and jumped from that to the Pro when it came out for the keyboard. Switched from the Pro to the Razr in November and then to the MAXX in March, have not looked back since. Do it you will love this phone.

jackiescivic

Diamond Member
Reaction score
I'm liking the maxx more and more. I'm officially sold on it, now just need to find the best deal. The local VW shop (aurhorized retailer) wants 299.00 for it....bleh.

Side question - I use Titanium backup and I assume it stores those on the removable card? I am running some older versions of software as I didn't like the upgrade version. If I install fresh on the maxx...can I 'restore' the older version from the card after?

Go into a Corporate store and the Maxx is $199 right now.
My first Android was the DInc and I had that about a year before I bought the X2. I loved the X2 so much! But nothing compares to not needing an extended battery and having an LTE capable phone. You can absolutely root the Maxx, I just did on Saturday, and it was SO easy! I remember how much work it was to root my DInc and I hated it, lol. A few of the pre-installed apps you will be able to just uninstall, but the others will require freezing.

nubby

Reaction score
Just wanted to say like the other GN (Grand National) symbol as your avatar. A friend had one in high school.