Think I bricked my phone doing manual root exploit

toy4x4

Reaction score
Ok So I rooted my phone manually a while back but noticed that after a reboot I would get the shell $ prompt in ADB... So I would have to Re-exploit the /data/local.prop file and set the line ro.sys.atvc_allow_all_adb=0 to =1 then reboot and then ADB would have # root access again. Long story short I got tired of using echo command to rewrite the /data/local.prop file so pulled it and edited with wordpad then pushed it back down to the phone overwriting the original. After I powered the phone off and back on it just keeps looping at the Droid Animation.
I think that I may have overwrote the file permissions for /data/local.prop file by pushing it with ADB shell as root # . Any ideas on how to access this file to fix the permissions?

Here is a log of what I did:

C:\Users\Jason\android-sdk-windows\platform-tools>adb shell
root@cdma_targa:/# cat /data/local.prop
cat /data/local.prop
ro.sys.atvc_allow_netmon_usb=0
ro.sys.atvc_allow_netmon_ih=0
ro.sys.atvc_allow_res_core=0
ro.sys.atvc_allow_res_panic=0
ro.sys.atvc_allow_all_adb=0
ro.sys.atvc_allow_all_core=0
ro.sys.atvc_allow_efem=0
ro.sys.atvc_allow_bp_log=0
ro.sys.atvc_allow_ap_mot_log=0
ro.sys.atvc_allow_gki_log=0
root@cdma_targa:/#

C:\Users\Jason\android-sdk-windows\platform-tools>adb pull /data/local.prop
140 KB/s (288 bytes in 0.002s)

C:\Users\Jason\android-sdk-windows\platform-tools>"%ProgramFiles%\Windows NT\Accessories\wordpad.exe" local.prop

C:\Users\Jason\android-sdk-windows\platform-tools>adb push local.prop /data/local.prop
72 KB/s (298 bytes in 0.004s)

C:\Users\Jason\android-sdk-windows\platform-tools>adb shell
root@cdma_targa:/# cat /data/local.prop
cat /data/local.prop
ro.sys.atvc_allow_netmon_usb=0
ro.sys.atvc_allow_netmon_ih=0
ro.sys.atvc_allow_res_core=0
ro.sys.atvc_allow_res_panic=0
ro.sys.atvc_allow_all_adb=1
ro.sys.atvc_allow_all_core=0
ro.sys.atvc_allow_efem=0
ro.sys.atvc_allow_bp_log=0
ro.sys.atvc_allow_ap_mot_log=0
ro.sys.atvc_allow_gki_log=0
root@cdma_targa:/#exit

Vepaot

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G5 (LS992)
I wouldn't say it's bricked just yet, but you are probably going to have wipe it and start over.

OP
T

toy4x4

Reaction score
What are my options for fixing? Is there a way to load clockworks or something and manually edit the filesystem rather than cloneing over it with a new image?

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
Your best bet is to pull down the SBF and restore it to stock. There should be a link and instructions in the development subforum.

OP
T

toy4x4

Reaction score
Wierd but doing the a hard reset / factory data wipe and cache wipe didn't fix... It says formating /data... but guess that wasn't were the problem was???
Guess I will try the RSD lite and find a FXZ file.

OP
T

toy4x4

Reaction score
OP
T

toy4x4

Reaction score
Just wanted to update this.... I've picked up quite a bit of knowledge since this post. It turns out the permissions were not the issue here. using adb to push it was not a problem... The file gets created with rw permissions for all users so the system should have no problem reading and overwriting this file at boot.
-rw-rw-rw- root root 288 2012-04-06 14:58 local.prop

Using wordpad from Microsoft to edit the file was the problem. (I also edited the /system/bin/mount_ext3.sh file to do the forever root at the same time I edited the local.prop file. So really the mount_ext3.sh file probably boot looped the phone before local.prop - who knows.) but here is the low down...

Using MS products to edit files will write two end of the line / non printing characters to each line in the file. You can see this in notepad++ by going under view, show symbol, show all characters. MS products like to use both CR and LF characters equal to Hex 0d and 0a. Linux on the other hand only uses the LF (line feed) charater equal to hex 0a. Linux does not play well with files that have both CR and LF characters...
Keep in mind that these end of the line characters are non printing and can't be seen in normal text editors with out using a hex dump tool or a programing utility like notepad++. So for those of you who use a windows pc to edit files on your phone beware!