They Can Hear You Now: Verizon Patent Could Listen In On Customers

droidrazrmaxx

Reaction score
Absolutely insane. Where does it end. The pursuit of the almighty dollar in this business is unlike any other I believe.

OP
LoudRam

LoudRam

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Z Flip 3
Now that I'm at a real computer I can copy and paste a few interesting things from the story...

FierceCable first publicized the Verizon patent that gives examples of the DVR’s acute sensitivity in customers’ living rooms: argument sounds prompt ads for marriage counseling, and sounds of “cuddling” prompt ads for contraceptives.

The patent goes on to say that the sensors would also be able to determine if a viewer is exercising, eating, laughing, singing, or playing a musical instrument, and target ads to viewers based on their mood. It also could use sensors to determine what type of pets or inanimate objects are in the room.

Users are also given the option to link their smartphones and tablets to the detection system to directly increase its sensitivity.
“If detection facility detects that the user is holding a mobile device, advertising facility may be configured to communicate with the mobile device to direct the mobile device to present the selected advertisement. Accordingly, not only may the selected advertisement be specifically targeted to the user, but it may also be delivered right to the user’s hands,” the Verizon application states.

Imagine the potential for abuse if the government gets a hold of this information or is able to tap into or intercept what these boxes see and hear. This is beyond scary.

Last edited:

bruben7886

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Not scary at all....if you "welcome" this nazi device onto your house to save a few bucks on your cable bill you get what you get. I believe most people will get informed on the capabilities before purchase and choose not to give up their privacy; thus, a total flop for vz.

cobravnm13

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note 9
I don't want to live on this planet anymore.

William_04_x

Reaction score
Any powers that be will say its okay as long as they can use it too.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Droid Forums