There Is Something Seriously Wrong With Me

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I want to restate my position. I made the statement that I didn't want to get stuck on the official OTA 2.1 version, have it prove to be unrootable for a long period of time, and have advances made by our rom devs that would be unreachable due to the above situation.

If you took the update, or if you thought you bricked your phone, or forgot to do a sprecovery or a "sholes" updater suddenly vanished.... there are steps you can take to get your phone back to stock.

AllDroid - View topic - Unroot/Unbrick your phone using .sbf

So..don't root just because you think you might be stuck and unable to later.

OP
hookbill

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm going to wait until tomorrow. Not that I seriously believe the update will come tomorrow, I want to talk to CorinaCakes andsee what she says. Does dmupdater come with 2.0.5? I liked it but it kind of ran my battery down a bit.

R1Lover

Reaction score
Droid mod v 1.0 with smoked glass in blue.... and live wall papers... gotta love a perfect phone.

I only use the live wall papers to show off as it drains the battery too much at this point... but they are sweet.

The only thing my phone could do better is a better app for exchange and a little better bluetooth function... my truck still has a problem with dropping the bluetooth and rebooting the phone when connected to my pioneer unit. Other then that the phone is perfect...

R1Lover

Reaction score
I'm going to wait until tomorrow. Not that I seriously believe the update will come tomorrow, I want to talk to CorinaCakes andsee what she says. Does dmupdater come with 2.0.5? I liked it but it kind of ran my battery down a bit.

No but I'm sure it's still on your card so you can still use it... if not I can upload it for you.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
DroidMod has 1.0 Hook.... no need for 2.0.5. :icon_ banana:

It's a small amount of time to root and flash a ROM (and you can always go back to stock :icon_ devil:)

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
Now, I'll allow for someone to re-educate me, however my opinion is that those 2.1 roms were based on code not lifted from a 2.1 droid. just another device running 2.1

so while nice, it is not the optimized legit 2.1 made for our droid,
This is correct. It's a "hacked" together 2.1.....

Tanknspank

Beta Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
Well hook, theres also BB v1.1 that has a CHOICE of what oc kernal you want. Other than that I can't tell a difference between Droidmod or BB. Anyone want to enlighten me? :)

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Well hook, theres also BB v1.1 that has a CHOICE of what oc kernal you want. Other than that I can't tell a difference between Droidmod or BB. Anyone want to enlighten me? :)
DroidMod does not require any terminal commands to flash. It's an all inclusive way to root. You still need to know what you're doing, but it's much simpler.

Why not just stay rooted until 2.1 releases? Then just go back to stock and get what you've been waiting for Hook?

Tanknspank

Beta Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
DroidMod does not require any terminal commands to flash. It's an all inclusive way to root. You still need to know what you're doing, but it's much simpler.

Why not just stay rooted until 2.1 releases? Then just go back to stock and get what you've been waiting for Hook?

Oh, but I don't like to use DMUpdater. It takes all the fun out of it. With that it doesn't seem like your hacking your phone, but your phone is hack....ing...its... self? OMG, I KNEW IT! THESE PHONES ARE ALIVE!

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I agree. Some of the fun is doing the commands, for some people... but for me, I just don't want to have to spend the time.
For others, it eliminates some confusion and a percentage of user error.

OP
hookbill

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Man everybody wants me to root again except CK. I will probably do it tomorrow. Its kind of fun going back and forth, and I admit that I love tinkering with the phone. I thought when I got the Droid I would be free from the constant urge to try things like I did with my Storm but it appears that there are even more opportunities to mess with it. It really is insane. I guess there are worst things to obsess on.:)

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Man everybody wants me to root again except CK. I will probably do it tomorrow. Its kind of fun going back and forth, and I admit that I love tinkering with the phone. I thought when I got the Droid I would be free from the constant urge to try things like I did with my Storm but it appears that there are even more opportunities to mess with it. It really is insane. I guess there are worst things to obsess on.:)

If you want to try something different get all rooted and set up with sprecovery again and then give Adamz smoked glass 4.5 a try. All you need to do is drop it in the nandroid folder and use sprecovery to restore it. All your settings and apps come along for the ride. It's a nice look and seems stable. I was going to go with BB yesterday but got enough feedback that I switched at the last minute.

or...wait for the official 2.1 OTA. Didn't you say it was coming soon ? ;)

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...ss-v4-5-w-custom-boot-img-updated-2-19-a.html
steps 13-19

Last edited:

modified

Reaction score

I rooted and unrooted just like you. I got fed up with the force closes (even on 800 MHz) and the speed increase is not all that noticeable. Plus, i mostly use my Droid for browsing so the CPU speed does not factor in too much.

Don't even need to root to tether, and i can get the HTC sense with Beautiful Widgets so i am set :)

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
Man everybody wants me to root again except CK.
No I didn't say I didn't want you to : )

I said I'm right there along side of you because of this comment you made.

"Once I got back to stock I noticed that outside of a home screen that could go landscape and faster scrolling, there really wasn't much difference between the two."

I was merely pointing out that I have no interest because I'm perfectly happy running stock.

Only "modding" I wanted to do was change the stock icons and of course walls to match.

I did the Home Replacements and they just did nothing for me.

So yes do it if YOU want to if not no worries. There are people who have no interest in root access.

Like I said, maybe that will change for me after 2.1 has been rooted but for now my device runs excellent and does EVERYTHING I need it to.

But you are right it can become somewhat of an obsession bordering on a behavioral problem.

Some people like walking the streets at night and flashing innocent people and some people like to flash ROMs 2-3 times a day.......there is treatment for this you do know?

LOL j/k

Just have fun