Rooted Droid Defective- Am i safe getting a replacement?

cwininger

Reaction score
headphone jack has a short in it. i'm planning on going back to stock and taking it in to my local verizon store.. it's likely they will either give me a new one from their stock or have a refurb mailed to me (anyone know if i can force them to give me a new one from the store's stock, by the way? don't want a refurb...).

what i'm worried about is the 2.1 update. i want to stay rooted, so when the new phone gets activated will it automatically recieve the 2.1 ota update? i ask this because when i got my first one the verizon rep updated it from 2.0 to 2.0.1 while activating it, before i could even get my hands on it. don't want this to happen again. should i worry about this or am i good?

justin82

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
headphone jack has a short in it. i'm planning on going back to stock and taking it in to my local verizon store.. it's likely they will either give me a new one from their stock or have a refurb mailed to me (anyone know if i can force them to give me a new one from the store's stock, by the way? don't want a refurb...).

what i'm worried about is the 2.1 update. i want to stay rooted, so when the new phone gets activated will it automatically recieve the 2.1 ota update? i ask this because when i got my first one the verizon rep updated it from 2.0 to 2.0.1 while activating it, before i could even get my hands on it. don't want this to happen again. should i worry about this or am i good?

You will be ok just remeber to unistall all root apps and clean your sd card

also the new 2.1 is rooted you have nothing to loose roms already started rolling out i am sure pete/blackdroid/chevy/adam will have roms in a few days for them

don't think they will give you a new one they probabbly have refurb in store but good luck on getting a new one let us know how it goes

iPirate

Reaction score
If they replace it for you at the store you could say you want to make sure it has 2.01 on it cause you feel it is faster...

OP
C

cwininger

Reaction score

also the new 2.1 is rooted you have nothing to loose roms already started rolling out i am sure pete/blackdroid/chevy/adam will have roms in a few days for them

don't think they will give you a new one they probabbly have refurb in store but good luck on getting a new one let us know how it goes

Thanks for the reply. So the official OTA is rootable. I guess i missed that. do custom rom's require updates to override the new 2.1 or can i just install SPRecovery and flash my last nandroid backup?

justin82

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

Thanks for the reply. So the official OTA is rootable. I guess i missed that. do custom rom's require updates to override the new 2.1 or can i just install SPRecovery and flash my last nandroid backup?

don't know if the old roms will work on them or not i would say by weekend you will have your chice of what to install

wickedgrip

Reaction score
sorry but could someone tell me how to unistall root apps and clean the SD Card, I still have the update.zip file on there

gruve

Reaction score
The new phone will come with 2.01 if you get it from the store, it will prompt you to download 2.1

jimnutt

Reaction score
2.1 has not been rooted if installed from an unrooted system. It has only been rooted if you are installing it on an already rooted Droid and only if you don't use the official upgrade.