Themes decrease performance?

carlz28

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Ahhh, didn't know this, I stand corrected :) Thanks for clarifying Juice.

//Tap'd from CM8's DX\\

File size of images used in a theme matter as well. Lets say you have the stock statusbar_background.9.png at 2kb, and a themed one at 150kb, there will be a slight (barely noticeable, if at all) difference. But now, start adding many many custom images and the file sizes in total can go up significantly. In theory, the larger the file size, the more "resources" and/or computing power is needed to to process that image on your screen. Throw in a bunch of .9.pngs that have embedded guides to make them stretchable, and you're adding even more info that has to be processed.
It usually relative though. What one person calls slowing down, isn't even noticeable to another person. There are just way too many variables involved (hardware's true ability, other apps running, over/underclocking etc.) to really come to a conclusion about one specific persons experience versus anothers.

What matters most, is to get what works best for you personally.

The themed pngs are the same resolution as the stock pngs... you think you'll see a 7500% increase in filesize?

Unless we're talking incompatibility issues, which would cause halting errors, not lag, themes won't decrease performance, its in your head....

I'll counter you with this. If themes dont affect performance of a ROM....then why would somebody want to zipalign an .apk?

droidxchat

Reaction score
File size of images used in a theme matter as well. Lets say you have the stock statusbar_background.9.png at 2kb, and a themed one at 150kb, there will be a slight (barely noticeable, if at all) difference. But now, start adding many many custom images and the file sizes in total can go up significantly. In theory, the larger the file size, the more "resources" and/or computing power is needed to to process that image on your screen. Throw in a bunch of .9.pngs that have embedded guides to make them stretchable, and you're adding even more info that has to be processed.
It usually relative though. What one person calls slowing down, isn't even noticeable to another person. There are just way too many variables involved (hardware's true ability, other apps running, over/underclocking etc.) to really come to a conclusion about one specific persons experience versus anothers.

What matters most, is to get what works best for you personally.

The themed pngs are the same resolution as the stock pngs... you think you'll see a 7500% increase in filesize?

Unless we're talking incompatibility issues, which would cause halting errors, not lag, themes won't decrease performance, its in your head....

I'll counter you with this. If themes dont affect performance of a ROM....then why would somebody want to zipalign an .apk?

like i said above, the only thing i can think of slowing performance is if themes add apps that you didn't already have..... but by your own suggestion here, if those themes do add apps, simply zipaligning should make the phone run as it did before theming .... feel free to try

Last edited:

nerdslogic

Silver Member
Reaction score
What exactly does Zipalign do? and why isn't it just done...why am I given an option to do it? And should you not zipalign system apps?