Themes decrease performance?

jh120

Reaction score
Installed Liberty last night on my DX and loving it, except for one thing. When I started using it with the default Liberty theme it was extremely fast, and did away with the lagging keyboard issue that I'd had on stock. But I tried installing two themes from the Liberty Toolbox (UD and Gala) and they seemed to decrease performance a lot. Keyboard lag was back, Quadrant scores were well below the listed average for a DX, and everything seemed sluggish in general. I reinstalled the Liberty theme and everything was lightning fast again, with Quadrant scores higher than all the listed averages. Luckily the Liberty theme is great and I'm happy to use it, but has anyone else had this problem? Is there something I could do to make other themes run better? Thanks!

droidxchat

Reaction score
Its probably in your head, themes really just replace graphical images, which shouldnt take different time to process/display. The xml replacements wouldn't affect performance either.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

chkmate

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'd have to kinda agree with the above. The only issue I had due to a theme was 928's Black Glass Theme with slide lock reboots. It was a known issue by a lot of people. But I have never seen a change in in speed and lag caused by a theme. What I've learned by only running this a couple days is the manual install of themes has been flawless for me. And all I did before flashing the theme is reflash Liberty ROM without wiping. I know this defeats the purpose of the toolbox, but I find manual installs seem to work better. Don't get me wrong, I love the toolbox and have used it for other things. Just not themes.

Last edited:

Juicemane

Bang Bang
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Actually poorly optimized themes can impact your performance. It shouldn't impact your Quad scores by much if at all though. Botched framework can cause instability, but I have never really had an issue with a theme causing poor performance.

chkmate

Silver Member
Reaction score
Actually poorly optimized themes can impact your performance. It shouldn't impact your Quad scores by much if at all though. Botched framework can cause instability, but I have never really had an issue with a theme causing poor performance.

Ahhh, didn't know this, I stand corrected :) Thanks for clarifying Juice.

//Tap'd from CM8's DX\\

droidxchat

Reaction score
Botched framework wouldn't cause stutter or lag tho, it would cause halting errors and even FC, not slower speed. Framework is a reference pkg not command pkg, you won't see it creating threads and eating memory.

ckirby1

Reaction score
Does anyone know why my launcher bar stays stock liberty when i change themes? Kinda sux.

Sent from my DROID2

chkmate

Silver Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know why my launcher bar stays stock liberty when i change themes? Kinda sux.

Sent from my DROID2

Launcher and icons are different from the theme. This is why you get icon packs separate from the theme itself.

//Tap'd from CM8's DX\\

ckirby1

Reaction score
So how do i change the launcher symbols to match the theme. Ex.watermarkd on the sample screen where you download themes in liberty toolbox they are present.

Sent from my DROID2

carlz28

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score

//Tap'd from CM8's DX\\

File size of images used in a theme matter as well. Lets say you have the stock statusbar_background.9.png at 2kb, and a themed one at 150kb, there will be a slight (barely noticeable, if at all) difference. But now, start adding many many custom images and the file sizes in total can go up significantly. In theory, the larger the file size, the more "resources" and/or computing power is needed to to process that image on your screen. Throw in a bunch of .9.pngs that have embedded guides to make them stretchable, and you're adding even more info that has to be processed.
It usually relative though. What one person calls slowing down, isn't even noticeable to another person. There are just way too many variables involved (hardware's true ability, other apps running, over/underclocking etc.) to really come to a conclusion about one specific persons experience versus anothers.

What matters most, is to get what works best for you personally.

droidxchat

Reaction score

//Tap'd from CM8's DX\\

File size of images used in a theme matter as well. Lets say you have the stock statusbar_background.9.png at 2kb, and a themed one at 150kb, there will be a slight (barely noticeable, if at all) difference. But now, start adding many many custom images and the file sizes in total can go up significantly. In theory, the larger the file size, the more "resources" and/or computing power is needed to to process that image on your screen. Throw in a bunch of .9.pngs that have embedded guides to make them stretchable, and you're adding even more info that has to be processed.
It usually relative though. What one person calls slowing down, isn't even noticeable to another person. There are just way too many variables involved (hardware's true ability, other apps running, over/underclocking etc.) to really come to a conclusion about one specific persons experience versus anothers.

What matters most, is to get what works best for you personally.

The themed pngs are the same resolution as the stock pngs... you think you'll see a 7500% increase in filesize?

Unless we're talking incompatibility issues, which would cause halting errors, not lag, themes won't decrease performance, its in your head....

Last edited:

nerdslogic

Silver Member
Reaction score
I have to admit. I flashed that Watermark theme yesterday and have noticed my phone responding a bit more sluggishly afterwards. I am thinking of going back to GB Blue

jaycemiskel

Reaction score
I've experienced slowdown while using themes before too. I went into it with no preconceived notions about themes causing slowdown so I don't think it's in my head.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

nerdslogic

Silver Member
Reaction score
That makes 2 of us. I never thought about themes causing any performance issues. I will flash back to GB Blue and do another quadrant to see if it changes at all.

droidxchat

Reaction score
Some themes will add apks that you didn't have in the first place. If you get widgets or apps like this from the them, then that can use up some ram or cpu. That's the only plausible way I can seea theme causing a slower phone.