Themers Toolbox - Tools and resources for making themes

OP
thebowers

thebowers

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I would like to do another thread that has just the "how to's" in it.

wesblake

Reaction score
Any general how-to?

Hi. I see the guides you link to in your sig bower, but is there any how to out there for getting started on theming? i.e., for SS, BB, etc. I have a couple great ideas for themes, been a developer for over 10 years and was a designer for a few, so I have enough knowledge even a basic guide should help me get started. Thanks!
P.S., I have googled for this, and all I seem to find is stuff about some panda thing? Did not seem like the same thing so I didn't bother with the entire guide(s).

OP
thebowers

thebowers

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I would suggest doing a search for Ultimate Theming Guide. That might get you some where or get you scratching your head. Tell me what kind of guides you need or would like. I have my own section now and hope to get more how-tos out.

wesblake

Reaction score
Thanks! I found it and it's a great start. I do have a question already, otherwise I'm moving forward with the guide to start creating my own theme:
On the signing portion, the guide has you download the singing package by "JF" via this guide: xda-developers - View Single Post - [HOW TO] Manuals for creating a theme
This seems to be windows based though, and I only have Linux. Is there some other guide you know of for Linux signing, or do I do it somehow through Eclipse like I do for my apps? Thanks.

OP
thebowers

thebowers

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I would just use apkmanager. It has a signing tool built into it and I believe it works on both windows and linux.

wesblake

Reaction score
Thanks. I'm working on it like mad now. I've got a good one for you though. Can you run the custom ROM you are making a theme for in the SDK emulator somehow and install/test the themes in there? Seems like it would make sense, and be a hassle to keep testing on your phone. Thanks again.

RevivaL

Reaction score
I'm trying to change the color of white 3gicons to black. what should I use?

OP
thebowers

thebowers

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Thanks. I'm working on it like mad now. I've got a good one for you though. Can you run the custom ROM you are making a theme for in the SDK emulator somehow and install/test the themes in there? Seems like it would make sense, and be a hassle to keep testing on your phone. Thanks again.

I don't use the emulator but heard that it takes just as long for it to load up as it would to just flash the theme with an update.zip. you wouldn't need the rom just the whole .apk you wanted to test.

kook

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I'm trying to change the color of white 3gicons to black. what should I use?

I use Photoshop....don't know if that's what you're asking.

kook

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
What have you accomplished thus far? As far as pulling out the files.