Themers Toolbox - Tools and resources for making themes

thebowers

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Tools that everyone should know about to make themes. Here is some that I use. Feel free to add to the list.

7-zip - 7-Zip Great tools for opening .apks and extracting them with out changing the extension.

ADB - See Android SDK

Apk Manager - Apk Manager 4.9 - Makes Modifying Ur Apk A Breeze (Windows/Linux) - xda-developers thanks to Rola, I love this tool. All in one for decompile, compile, sigin, and pushing to the phone.

apktool.jar - Downloads - android-apktool - Project Hosting on Google Code If you using windows you need the top two downloads.

axmlprinter2.jar - AXMLPrinter2.jar - android4me - Prints XML document from binary XML file (with correct namespace handing & attribute formatting). - Project Hosting on Google Code= There is a GUI format as well here Android XML Decompiler - Android @ MoDaCo

Android SDK - Android SDK | Android Developers Many useful tools within this package.

Colorchangev3.jar - http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=535630 used for changing notification text (clock, date, ticker and so on )

HxD - Downloads | mh-nexus Useful for doing hex edits if you can't get apktool.jar to work.

draw9patch.bat - In the tools folder of the Android SDK.

Eclipse - http://www.eclipse.org/downloads/ Download eclipse classic.

xUltimate tools - http://www.droidforums.net/forum/xeudoxus/47283-release-xultimate.html Awesome tools by X.

Change "M" logo - http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...m-bootloader-logos-replace-motorola-logo.html , Just wanted to add this in case people wanted to make one to go with there theme.

Again this is just a list of tools used for theming.

RoLa

Reaction score
Nice thread thebowers.. I also use android commander for pushing and pulling files, makes it little easier..[TOOL] Android Commander 0.7.9.6 - Froyo Ready! - Page 7 - xda-developers
I use power command as well for the apktool because it allows you to copy and paste (which you and bgill55 already knew) and cmd window kinda makes me mad...lol
I use apk manager as well, it has brut.alls apktool incorporated...Apk Manager 4.8 - Makes Modifying Ur Apk A Breeze (Windows/Linux) - xda-developers
Themeing wouldn't be the same without the themeing guide Jairomeo made for all of us...http://jbthemes.com/jairomeo/theme-guide

OP
thebowers

thebowers

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Never heard of apk manager going to check it out.

RoLa

Reaction score
Never heard of apk manager going to check it out.
It seems nice..I always liked apktool because once the edit is made to the .apk, you go to the dist/out and bam!!! there you have it. I upgraded to win7 and can't get apktool to work and I was content with it because it just worked. I can get apk manager to break down the .apk, I make my edits but can't find where it distributes the new built .apk (should be easy to find you would think, but I am retarded)...That and one plug in for photoshop is where I am stuck at the moment. Once I get those two problems fixed, I'll be asking for your gtalk so you can answer some questions.;) You've been a big help to the community thebowers.

chevycam94

SteelDroid ROM / Cortex ROM Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Website
steelroms.com
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P, VZW Note Edge, D1
The GUI for AXMLPrinter2 doesnt seem to open all XMLs correctly. eri.xml and power_profile.xml both dont open at all. Others like settings_header.xml and title_bar.xml DO. Any idea why?

thinkmega

Reaction score
The GUI for AXMLPrinter2 doesnt seem to open all XMLs correctly. eri.xml and power_profile.xml both dont open at all. Others like settings_header.xml and title_bar.xml DO. Any idea why?

I also have difficulty to use AXMLPrinter2. This is what I did:

java -jar AXMLPrinter2.jar app_perms_summary.xml

I got a java.lang.ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException. I am using jdk 1.6.0_21.

Any idea why it doesn't work here? The app_perms_summary.xml is part of the frf84b distribution, by the way.

Thanks.

jbrock98

Reaction score
this is just wat i needed, i'm reading up on jbthemes theme guide and was gonna try to start learning how to theme nice thread

UltraDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 3, straight stock
If you quote someone, it does'nt mean you have to quote everything they wrote

Lifted from your signature, and one of my pet peeves. It leads to hopelessly long posts that take up a lot of space. On the flip side, the format used by DroidForums in their reply boxes doesn't exactly lend itself to shortening the quote process. Perhaps an administrator could look into giving us an easier way to only copy the part we actually want to respond to, and not the whole prior post.

-Mike

OP
thebowers

thebowers

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Can't believe I forgot about colorchangev3.jar....lol. added to OP

neyel8r

Reaction score
thanks for the info! i would like to give this a shot when i get my Inc