The ONE thing I HATE about this phone

sonicxtacy02

Reaction score
All the confirmation popups! Are you sure you want to power off? Are you sure you want to reboot? Are you sure you want to delete this email? Hotspot turns off wifi, are you sure you wish to do this? Wifi direct has not been used in the last 5 minutes.... It's beyond redundant. Is there any way in the stock rom to disable all these things? A few of the confirmation options dont even make sense. There's OK or Cancel, Continue or Cancel, Continue or Next, Continue or OK. I dont see how they actually help anyone.

skennelly

Reaction score
Not sure about all of those, but the email one is very simple.

ega5ygug.jpg

Sent from my SCH-I535

OP
S

sonicxtacy02

Reaction score
"Airplane Mode will be disabled"

Do I seriously need to confirm disabling airplane mode? Good thing i didnt just turn it off, put my phone back in my holster, and go about my business. I probably would have missed the call for my connecting flight information. I hope this problem is removed in Jelly Bean. I've owned close to 20 different android devices in the last few years and this is the first phone I've had this issue with. What's the point of having an airplane mode shortcut if you have to click 4 times just to use it?

RiceCake2000

Reaction score
What annoys me beside all the questions is when you drag down the notification bar and everything has to slide over. What is the point of that?

metz2000

Reaction score
Yeah, that confirmation to power off every time is the most imbecilic thing ever. :angry:
I'd be really pissed off if my phone would power off without confirmation.
Power button can be pressed accidentally (i.e. in a pocket), and I wouldn't want to miss calls because of that.
One thing I really hate in Windows 7 is that it logs off and restarts without confirmation, and there's no cancel once it started.

metz2000

Reaction score
"Airplane Mode will be disabled"

Do I seriously need to confirm disabling airplane mode? Good thing i didnt just turn it off, put my phone back in my holster, and go about my business. I probably would have missed the call for my connecting flight information. I hope this problem is removed in Jelly Bean. I've owned close to 20 different android devices in the last few years and this is the first phone I've had this issue with. What's the point of having an airplane mode shortcut if you have to click 4 times just to use it?
I wouldn't mind if it would be an option so that whoever doesn't need confirmation can turn it off.
I personally wouldn't want to miss calls or texts because my phone went offline accidentally. Going online accidentally can be also annoying, i.e. if phone starts ringing in a meeting.
See my previous comment about Windows 7.

One could also choose other launcher, other ROM, other shortcut widget if the defaults aren't good.
There are many choices, use them.

metz2000

Reaction score
What annoys me beside all the questions is when you drag down the notification bar and everything has to slide over. What is the point of that?
The point is that it shows you the status of buttons what wouldn't be visible otherwise, so you don't have to scroll to have an overview.
If you remove buttons so that only 5 remain there's no scroll.
There are alternative widgets for shortcuts, choose another one if the default is not to your like. This isn't an iPhone where one must use whatever Apple gives them ;-)

Tailgun

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S3
I'd be really pissed off if my phone would power off without confirmation.
Power button can be pressed accidentally (i.e. in a pocket), and I wouldn't want to miss calls because of that.
One thing I really hate in Windows 7 is that it logs off and restarts without confirmation, and there's no cancel once it started.
This is incorrect. In order to power off, one must first long-press the lock button, then select 'Power Off' from the resultant options screen. It is not possible to power off the device with a single inadvertent button press from within ones pocket, as you suggest.

The fact remains it's ridiculous to demand confirmation from yet another pop-up box while powering off when the user has already performed a two-step process attempting to do so.

metz2000

Reaction score
This is incorrect. In order to power off, one must first long-press the lock button, then select 'Power Off' from the resultant options screen. It is not possible to power off the device with a single inadvertent button press from within ones pocket, as you suggest.

The fact remains it's ridiculous to demand confirmation from yet another pop-up box while powering off when the user has already performed a two-step process attempting to do so.

I didn't suggest it is possible 'to power off the device with a single inadvertent button press from within ones pocket', although it is possible, see below.

What I was writing about was that long press brings up a dialog with multiple choices. Some choices may result in data loss (i.e. restart and power off), flight mode results in complete loss of connection (both voice and data).
Such actions have to be confirmed, so that for whatever reason are selected accidentally the user can cancel the action.
Accidental selection is possible even on a computer with a mouse, and it is much more likely on a touch screen, especially when phone is used one handed or on the move, so it is very important to protect user from data and connection loss.
Note that not all people use the phone with two hands or on a table, some take it seriously that it's mobile and use them on the go walking, or when riding a vehicle.

Would you like not to have confirmation for power off? Create an issue in Android issue tracker and eventually it might be implemented. Until then you may look for other widget or launcher what doesn't ask for confirmation.
The default action should protect the user, so I'd expect that even if there will be a choice to not have confirmation the default will be the confirmation.

FYI, an even longer press of power button powers off the phone without confirmation, so an RTFM would have resolved your issue.

For flight mode there are lots of widgets, maybe there are some what don't ask for confirmation. I haven't tried any so I don't know for sure.