The official "The File System Stinks" Thread...

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
I love this phone but whoever designed the file system should be shot.

This is what I've learned.

There are three sections.

Phone Storage 8 Gig
SD-Ext 8 Gig
SD Card 16 Gig

If you put an app on the SD-Ext it will lose track of it. So I keep the Aps on the Phone (plenty of storage).

However my aps automatically go to SD EXT when downloaded..

Tonight I took pictures and VIDEO of my son and I can't find where the heck it is on the phone.

I can play it off the phone using DoubleTwist and Gallery but how can I move it off the phone to my computer?

I cannot find any application that allows me to find the file and move it.

This is driving me nuts!

Bear in NM

Reaction score
SSH,

I am using root explorer right now. I am not rooted yet, but the program does let you see a goodly chunk of the phone, and move files around in the sd and sd-ext subdirectory. I have not had a chance to play around extensively, but there are 3 settings when you connect the PC (at least Windows). Each one seems to yield a different drive letter assignment on my PC. I think the second switch made my PC think the phone was a camera, and it popped me directly into the SD subdirectory. You also may need to make sure you have the proper moto drivers on your PC. If you are mac'ing, your mileage will certainly differ.

Craig

Anathema

Reaction score
My guess is most people just file share everything. Or you could just email them to yourself. You have options besides the "old fashioned" way.

OP
SSHGuru

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
I downloaded ES File Explorer and it's good. I can see the phone but I still can't find the video's and pictures I took today.

OP
SSHGuru

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
I tried to email them - they are too big. There should be a way to find them.

My guess is most people just file share everything. Or you could just email them to yourself. You have options besides the "old fashioned" way.

LBrooks

Reaction score
Oh my God - I thought I was the only having problems finding files ! I just figured it was because I was new to the whole Droid thing - thank goodness it's not just me !!! :blink: I downloaded about 20 photos from Gmail and for the life of me I can't find the honkin' things ~ it's driivng me crazy! I *see* them in the gallery, but they're nowhere to be found on my card / in a folder, etc etc blah blah blah ... they're just *there* - *somewhere* :banghead: it's freaky ... And I can't seem to find anywhere where you tell it *where* to keep any downloaded files (other than the camera - I did find that) - freakier still - and of course the "user guide" is no help at all :eek:) ... Other than that - I'm not having too many issues :knock on wood:

LBrooks

Reaction score
I did do that straight out of the box LOL (storage location / SD Card) ... thanks so much for the Astro File Manager tip - I will download it and let you know if it helps me find my photos - that's what I'm having problems finding ... I downloaded a .pdf and found it without any problem at all - it's the photos I can't find - it's weird. I'll report back if Astro is of no help - thanks, SW!!!

OP
SSHGuru

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
Dcim

Found them on the sd card dcim not ext.. But thanks now I know where to look.

chetqwerty

Reaction score
So i pulled my card from my DX tossed it in my new freshly rooted Bionic installed Titanium Backup and figured I'd have all my apps back up and running in about 15 minutes. WRONG! Took me forever to figure out why TB had no idea where to look for the backed up files. Eventually figured it out and pointed TB to the SD-ext location and all went smooth from there. Make sure to check the storage location of every app installed because NONE of mine saw SD-ext as the external storage location, i had to tell them manually.