Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
It's a definite upgrade from my OG XL. I didn't realize how much I missed dual front firing speakers.

A friend linked me to an article about how you can feel the vibration from the speakers in the back of the phone when the volume is not even 50%. I hadn't noticed while playing a game at reasonable volume, but after reading the article, I cranked some music & you sure can feel it. At 50%, the vibration was pretty strong, but not enough to make the phone rattler around on a flat, smooth surface in my Spigen Rugged Armor case. I don't think this is going to bug me, as I watched some YouTube & Netflix later at a decent volume where I could hear it over my kids & the TV & it didn't bother me.

The notch really isn't bad. I actually had some time where I considered a return to Samsung & even went out of my way to check out a Note 9 & S9+ in-store because I wasn't sure I could live that notch life, but after having it for just over 24 hours, it definitely doesn't bug me or draw my attention or anything.

Battery life for the first day has been great, but it'll be longer before I have a real gauge on that. I didn't have time to check my phone as often today as I do some days during work, but I left battery saver off & had 77% after an hour of streaming music over Bluetooth headphones, occasional checking of social media & news, a quick (5 minute?) phone call, & being in poor service for 7 hours (I was in a building where I had 3G most times I checked & LTE the couple of times I stepped outside). I spent my half hour lunch reading articles & etc.

With the OG XL & it's nearly 2 year old battery, with only slightly heavier usage in good service areas, I can easily have less battery % left at the end of a work day with battery saver being on the whole day.

Those are some of my initial thoughts so far.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Any one went sim free?
f6aa3d9f4d4673a18a19c9f62f13881a.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Any one went sim free?
f6aa3d9f4d4673a18a19c9f62f13881a.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
I was going to try it, but when I went to the web address listed on that card, it seemed to be a faq or help page & didn't have any list I could find of carriers that support it. I tried a couple of different times, but I figured Verizon didn't support it anyway & just went ahead & put my sim in.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I was going to try it, but when I went to the web address listed on that card, it seemed to be a faq or help page & didn't have any list I could find of carriers that support it. I tried a couple of different times, but I figured Verizon didn't support it anyway & just went ahead & put my sim in.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL
Screenshot 2018-10-18 at 21.16.49.png

From that page it looked like vzw was one of the only ones that supported it. But to find that I had to search after going to the link on the card. Google did not make the process straight forward that's for sure.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
correction, I think projectfi is the way to use the e sim.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
correction, I think projectfi is the way to use the e sim.
The card makes it sound like fi isn't the only carrier to support it & I guess it would kinda make sense if Verizon did since they're the official partner at launch, but I figured it wasn't worth the hassle after I couldn't easily find it.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
But I think you're right. Here's what the Verizon site linked in your screenshot says...

Sounds to me like you can get a sim card, but nothing about sim free.
2bb879934ac506a10251ce0dfa5c495f.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL

wicked

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3 XL
Twitter
@MikeAlvez
Congrats brother.. We look forward to your thoughts

Pixel 2 XL using Tapa
Thanks!

Phone is great so far. Takes amazing pics.

Suffering from that memory issue though which I'm sure you've heard about already.

Hope Google fixes it quick on the next update.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
Thanks!

Phone is great so far. Takes amazing pics.

Suffering from that memory issue though which I'm sure you've heard about already.

Hope Google fixes it quick on the next update.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL
Best camera around IMO... awesome to hear it and I'm sure you will see a Google update not far behind...

Pixel 2 XL using Tapa