The official "I got it" thread

Reaction score
i got mine last night. so far very happy. just bestbuy is hella slow and someone cut me off in line and got helped about 20 mins before i got to be helped and i still got out of there before him and his precious iphone 4s. but i like the phnoe so far. the status bar and fonts are a bit small but that is it

sargentmajord

Silver Member
Reaction score
i just got mine yesterday verizon replaced my bionic that i bought back on September 22 with the droid 4 an i am loving it

norskejan

Reaction score
I received my D4 a couple of weeks ago and am very happy with my choice. I had the original Droid (until it went for a swim in the ocean), then the DX for about a year and a half, and now the D4. The camera shutter is stuck closed on my DX, hence I upgraded, otherwise it still works fine. That said, the D4 is noticeably faster than my DX, as it should be, even in our 3G area. When I travel to 4G I notice the faster speed loading pages, and look forward to using it in 4G areas. I do like the slide out keyboard very much, and the backlit feature is very cool. I hesitated about this added bulk, but it is worth it. The keyboard feels good and solid under the fingers. The phone is a tad hefty, but again, I got the features I wanted and don't mind this. I like having this power-packed device for personal and business use. I purchased the car dock and enjoy this feature also, although it limits function automatically. I like the added security features and have enabled encryption. Not sure exactly how this will affect video, since decreased funtion is mentioned during activation, and would like to read more detail on the encryption features, but have not found this information anywhere, not on motorola website or other. Battery life is fine, honestly, if you do a lot on any phone you are going to eat up battery. On a couple of days of particularly heavy use, my battery went low and I had to charge before the day was up. I keep a charger in my car and a spare at the office, if I need it. The camera and video are great, I use the HDMI cable and it's awesome to view my videos and pictures and use mirror mode on our flatscreen HD TV. On the phone, the display is crisp and colorful. I am very happy with my purchase!

BlockMaker

Reaction score
I got mine a little over a week ago and I'm glad I upgraded. I will say that any phone I get from now on will have to have a physical keyboard it's way easier to use than the virtual one. I'm coming from a Droid Eris and while I don't have 4G in my area, 3G with the dual core 1.2 Ghz is blazing speed compared to what I was getting on my Eris. My phone is more for productivity so I may watch an occasional YouTube video but I won't be using it for watching movies. One feature I like is the Smart Actions app but dislike the fact you have to turn on wifi to use the location settings. We don't use wifi where I work and the surrounding area is sketchy at best. My battery life so far is great. Since I don't stream music and video, but I do use Dropbox and Evernote, my battery will last all day without a problem although I did buy a portable charger just in case. The phone is definately bigger than my Eris but I've gotten used to that and I'm very happy with it.

r314bd

Reaction score
I purchased the car dock and enjoy this feature also, although it limits function automatically.
Are you referring to the Car Home app that pops up? Because you can exit that if you press the Menu button, or you can freeze it with Titanium Backup if you are rooted so it won't pop up at all.

Rubenk

Reaction score
Got mine last weekend. Walked in the verizon store, asked where it was, handled it for a second then went to the counter to do the deal. Ended up paying 65 bucks for my upgrade!! 50$ off for loyalty, then 100$ for 4g upgrade!! Stoked!!

So far it has been a great phone, battery life kind sucks if I use 4g constantly, but it is screaming fast. Upgraded from a rooted/rommed droid 1 and couldnt be happier! :icon_ banana:

Krzypuppy2

Reaction score
Received my D4 this past week, and am still learning my way around a few things. Just need to get comfortable with it. 4G is impressive... Downloading a book from Audible took a third of the time it did before. The Facebook app seems to bog down at times. The phone seems solid and easy to use, I just need to wear it in like a comfortable pair of jeans. It will take time, but it is nice when you don't have to think about where you need to go on the phone, and it is just automatic. I am wondering how the phone will do as I move from a 4G area to a 3G area, I drive through quite a few places where this will happen.

There are a lot of pre-loaded apps that I will never use, and I am guessing I won't be able to delete most of them. I like a phone with a physical keyboard and this one is very easy to use, larger easy to see qwerty keyboard. Coming from the Droid Pro's very compacted keyboard the D4 quite a bit larger, and being lit up is a plus.

Lynn

OrlandoBob

Reaction score
the my gallery app is terrible shows some dumb collage when you start the app...i tried downloading 3d gallery to replace it but that shows pictures sorted with the oldest first instead of newest which is very annoying. anyone know of a fix?
I agree about the stock gallery. I downloaded QuickPic and it's much better. Had it on my Droid 3. Give it a shot.

OrlandoBob

Reaction score
Got mine yesterday... Wasn't planning on it tho...

I went to my local Verizon store yesterday to get another Body Glove case for my Droid 3 because the part that goes around the screen portion of the phone was getting weak and kept popping off. Luckily I was able to find it right away. They didn't have any, but they said they could maybe find one online and mail it to me.

I asked if they had the Droid 4 and they said yes. I just wanted to look at it, knowing my contract was less than one year old on my Droid 3, so any hopes of upgrading right there was gone. I did ask what they could do for me, just being curious.

WELL!!.... They said there was a promotion on the Droid 4, and they'd let me purchase one, letting me out of my current contract. AND.. They offered $100 off of the upgrade charge. I got the phone for $100! Not bad... not bad at all!!

Got it home, and within an hour, I had it rooted and used Titanium Backup to restore my apps from my Droid 3. This new phone is fast! Love the speed when moving between desktop screens, and just the phone itself.

The video camera's results are better than the Droid 3 in that the picture doesn't have that blue cast that the Droid 3's camera had. AND.... It records in STEREO! Look at each short edge of the phone and you'll see a small pinhole on each edge. Those are the Left and Right microphones.

Happy? Of couse I am!

Now I need an upgraded ADK setup to at least take screen shots of my desktop screens.

BIGSKY39

Reaction score
Got mine 2 weeks ago. Gal at the Verizon store didn't check and make sure the data settings were right before I left. Drive home (80 miles) and no 3G. Go back this past weekend and exchange it, made sure settings were right this time, and now I'm good to go.

Other than the issue with the sales lady, I like this phone a heck of a lot more than my HTC Thunderslow. Boots, apps access, all around WAY faster. Wanted to get the Razr Maxx, but they were out. Oh well, at least I put my 32 gig sd card to good use. :biggrin:

nitrate28

Reaction score
Got it about a month ago (switched from a Pro). Really nothing i don't like about it. Still getting used to a horizontal keyboard and making errors, but the same thing happened when i went from BB to the Pro.

Websquad

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 6 +
... the Verizon soft case makes the top row of keys just a little bit difficult to type on....
For that reason I avoided the soft case and rely on one firmly attached to my belt. I'm a guy; gals will have wardrobe issues, since they usually don't wear belts and a belt-fastened phone container probably wouldn't look too cool. For what it is worth, the Droid 4 has been an overall good experience for me.

MECHANO

Reaction score
Well, I just ordered the D4 direct from Moto last night. I spent a good part of the weekend going over reviews. My biggest concern was the battery life, but it seems like it should be comparable to my D3. I don't have an upgrade until the end of this year, but it sounds like I won't be using upgrades anyways if they are going to take away your unlimited data when you do upgrade (starting this summer?)

tcrews

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
android.snkbitten.com
Well, I just ordered the D4 direct from Moto last night. I spent a good part of the weekend going over reviews. My biggest concern was the battery life, but it seems like it should be comparable to my D3. I don't have an upgrade until the end of this year, but it sounds like I won't be using upgrades anyways if they are going to take away your unlimited data when you do upgrade (starting this summer?)

I did similar, though ordered from Amazon.com as a replacement/no contract phone as my renewal isn't for another year....also moving from the D3 to the D4.

The D4 will have slightly shorter battery life compared to the D3 primarily just from the 4G radio (it seems to be a killer).
Battery life can be greatly improved if you root and freeze the extreme amount of bloatware and social services that aren't needed.

Here's all the crap I froze.
AdService
Apps
Backup Assistant Plus
Backup Assistant+
Backup Assistant+ Contacts
Backup Assistant+ Media
Facebook Authenticator (required for Facebook contact sync; not required for Facebook app)
(I use SyncMyPix to push Facebook contact photos in to Gmail contacts so I don't need Facebook Contact syncing)
Flickr Authenticator
Help Center
Home screen tips
IM
IM Presence
LastFM Authenticator
LinkedIn Authenticator
MOG Music
MOTOACTV
MotoCast (required for MotoCast, obviously)
MotoCast ID (required for MotoCast)
MOTOPRINT
My Uploads
NFL Mobile
Orkut Authenticator
Photobucket Authenticator
Picasa Authenticator
Skyrock Authenticator
Slacker
Slingbox
Social Messaging
Social Messaging Service
Social Networking
Social Sharing
Social Status
Twitter Authenticator
V CAST Tones
Verizon Location Agent
Verizon Video
VideoSurf
VZ Navigator
Yahoo Calendar Service
Yahoo Contacts
YouTube Authenticator (YouTube app still works)
ZumoService (required for MotoCast; freeze only if you freeze MotoCast and MotoCast ID as well)