The New Market...

MattyP

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Has anyone else had issues with app updates failing in the new Market?

I can't remember ever having an app fail to update, until the new version of the Market came to my phone. I just performed updates on 15 apps, and 6 of them said "failed to update"... and it says "Unknown reason - 18"

Tried rebooting the phone, and trying the updates again, same thing. All the others updated fine with no hassles.

Anyone else? :)

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Go to Settings/Applications/Manage Applications/All Applications/Market. Delete bothe data and cache.

OP
MattyP

MattyP

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Nope, same problem. Cleared data and cache, went back to Market, same thing. Cleared data and cache again, rebooted the phone, then went back to Market and same issue. "Update unsuccessful, unknown reason - 18" :(

mszv

Reaction score
None of my apps that can go on the SD card update anymore. This was a problem reported elsewhere. I haven't contacted Verizon (or Motorola - Morotorla Droia) yet, though I know I should.

What I have to do.
Move the app to the phone, not the SD card
power down, remove the SD card
Update that app, it updates successfully
Move app back to SD card.

Pocket Legends reports that (or something like that) as a fix, when their game would not update.

OP
MattyP

MattyP

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
None of my apps that can go on the SD card update anymore. This was a problem reported elsewhere. I haven't contacted Verizon (or Motorola - Morotorla Droia) yet, though I know I should.

What I have to do.

Pocket Legends reports that (or something like that) as a fix, when their game would not update.

Winner winner, chicken dinner!! dancedroid

All of the apps that had an epic fail on updating were on the SD card. I moved one of them to the phone, updated it, and it worked. Moved the rest of them to the phone, hit "Update All" and away they went. Worked like a charm

Although I didn't have to remove the SD card, but just moving them to the phone worked. So I am just going to leave those apps on the phone, no sense having to move them back and forth every time there's an update available.

Thank you very much!! :)

mszv

Reaction score
I see you ave the Droid 2. I have the original Droid, and I need the space, so I need to put as much as possible on the SD card.

I'll try moving the apps to the phone, updating them, and then moving them back to the card, without doing the interim step of removing the SD card.

This is not a solution, it's a workaround. I'd really like it to work the way it's supposed to, but I just haven't been able to bring myself to contact Verizon, or should it be Motorola, or Google? You know, tech support, always such a pain.

dcook12

Reaction score
I see you ave the Droid 2. I have the original Droid, and I need the space, so I need to put as much as possible on the SD card.

I'll try moving the apps to the phone, updating them, and then moving them back to the card, without doing the interim step of removing the SD card.

This is not a solution, it's a workaround. I'd really like it to work the way it's supposed to, but I just haven't been able to bring myself to contact Verizon, or should it be Motorola, or Google? You know, tech support, always such a pain.

I have the original droid also and have not had this problem. Maybe it's a droid 2 issue only?? Probably no help, but I thought this might just be a problem with a certain model to maybe narrow it down.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

I have the original droid also and have not had this problem. Maybe it's a droid 2 issue only?? Probably no help, but I thought this might just be a problem with a certain model to maybe narrow it down.

Nope, I have a Droid 2 with lots of apps on the SD card and I've never had this issue.

J

JimmyStewart

What I have to do.

This was true for my Droid 2 Global as well. Removing the SD card was what it took to finally allow me to update these apps. Simply moving them to the phone wasn't enough. VERY FRUSTRATING. Thank you very much for the solution though, it had been a pretty major issue for a while and I hadn't found any solutions online until yours. :)