The iPhone Gets Wireless Charging In 2017?!

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

Samsung may not have pioneered wireless charging, but they are the only OEM that has really latched on to it and adopted it as a mainline feature. Most other OEMs have simply not shown interest in the technology for their flagships. Many phone manufacturers find themselves doing more to keep in line with what Apple is doing with the iPhone as far as features and design are concerned which is unfortunate.

Apple may finally adopt a Samsung feature for the iPhone in 2017. Sources are stating that there will be an iPhone in 2017 with a glass back. The source sites Catcher Technology CEO Allen Horng who says the following:

As far as I know, only one [iPhone] model will adopt glass casing next year,” Horng told reporters after the annual shareholder meeting on Thursday. “I don’t think this move will have an impact on Catcher’s revenue as glass casing still needs a durable metal frame which requires advanced processing technology and would not be cheaper than the current model.

This statement raises all sorts of questions. Does this just mean Apple is making another SE phone? Does this mean the 7s will feature a glass back. Will there only be one variant and no more plus editions? The big question is does a glass back on Apple's iPhone flagship mean they are finally bringing wireless charging to their devices? Other rumored features for an iphone 7s or 8 include edge to edge display, embedded touch ID and all glass design.

What are your thoughts? Have the tides turned? Is Apple now copying Samsung when it comes to design and features? If Apple puts out a phone with wireless charging will this push other manufacturers to do the same with their phones?

via Nikkei

Last edited by a moderator:

Vepaot

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G5 (LS992)
I bought a wireless charger, and put a new back on my G4 that supports it...and I used it for about a week before the novelty wore off. It just doesn't charge the phone quickly enough for my taste. If you only need to charge your device at the end of the day, then it would probably be great. Like if I could a 6000 mahs battery and still do inductive charging, I would use it all the time. But because I'm plugging my phone into the wall once or twice a day anyway (or just swapping the battery because I'm lazy), the novelty of wireless just isn't enough of a convenience.

OP
DroidModderX

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
actually Samsung's Fast Wireless charging is pretty fast. The S7E battery is large enough that I find myself not really needing to charge until later in the evening anyhow

Reactions: cr6

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
I miss my wireless charging of my previous phones. I dont' want to get a kit for my G4. Plus, I don't use the battery in a day so plugging it in at night is easy enough. I however want it in whatever phone I get in the future.

Amagine

Reaction score
The place I see wireless charging coming more into play is in the automotive realm. I have often thought about modifying a tray in my console to include a wireless pad. If I can charge my phone, while I am driving, without a crap load of wire strug along my cabin. Awesome.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
The place I see wireless charging coming more into play is in the automotive realm. I have often thought about modifying a tray in my console to include a wireless pad. If I can charge my phone, while I am driving, without a crap load of wire strug along my cabin. Awesome.
What'd be even cooler would be if they adopted solar charging ability, like a solar panel across the top of the windshield that powered the power port during the day and charged a battery for power point usage at night. I really like using my solar charger on long trips when using driving apps but it's kinda clunky sitting on the dash

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4
<><

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
This is air dock 2.0. Wireless charging pad that holds the phone via nano suction cups.
409ecd65948f925c89292d5d99bf71c5.jpg

c8976248fa7fca02c2511405a2789288.jpg

Last edited:

Efin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
I love the Qi wireless on my S6, and all the better for more products to have it as well.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Efin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
What'd be even cooler would be if they adopted solar charging ability, like a solar panel across the top of the windshield that powered the power port during the day and charged a battery for power point usage at night. I really like using my solar charger on long trips when using driving apps but it's kinda clunky sitting on the dash

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4
<><
That's a Good idea, would be nice to have the solar panel embedded in the glass of my sunroof. Would be a good use for an otherwise wasted design.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4
<><

That's a Good idea, would be nice to have the solar panel embedded in the glass of my sunroof. Would be a good use for an otherwise wasted design.

Not to be a buzz-kill here (and respectfully), but the car already has an extremely reliable power source that is both convenient and always on. The combination of the giant lead-acid battery and the vehicle's alternator provide far more power than is needed to both start and run the car, as well as to power the on-board and auxiliary electrical/electronic devices the end user wishes to add or bring along.

Even from an economical or environmental standpoint the car produces this auxiliary power almost as a byproduct of its normal operation. If considered alone the cost to produce this auxiliary power would be extremely high and wasteful from a fuel standpoint as well as terribly ecologically disruptive due to the massive engine and chassis and burning of fossil fuels. On the other hand, since using or not using that auxiliary power has miniscule impact on the overall fuel consumption given the greatest percentage of fuel consumption occurs in order to both run the engine itself and to power and mobilize the car, it makes little sense to devote a solar panel on the vehicle just for the purpose of powering these auxiliary devices.

On the other hand, if that panel were large enough and efficient enough to supplement the alternator, cause it to be reduced significantly or potentially eliminate the alternator altogether in order to effectively reduce drag on the engine and thereby reduce fossil fuel consumption, and/or reduce/eliminate the heavy, costly and hazardous heavy metal battery to reduce costs to manufacture and run (lighter means more fuel efficient), as well as remove potential toxins (Lead), then we have made serious strides.

Otherwise, a solar panel in a car for purpose of powering and charging a phone is more a novelty than an effective solution.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Not to be a buzz-kill here (and respectfully), but the car already has an extremely reliable power source that is both convenient and always on. The combination of the giant lead-acid battery and the vehicle's alternator provide far more power than is needed to both start and run the car, as well as to power the on-board and auxiliary electrical/electronic devices the end user wishes to add or bring along.

Even from an economical or environmental standpoint the car produces this auxiliary power almost as a byproduct of its normal operation. If considered alone the cost to produce this auxiliary power would be extremely high and wasteful from a fuel standpoint as well as terribly ecologically disruptive due to the massive engine and chassis and burning of fossil fuels. On the other hand, since using or not using that auxiliary power has miniscule impact on the overall fuel consumption given the greatest percentage of fuel consumption occurs in order to both run the engine itself and to power and mobilize the car, it makes little sense to devote a solar panel on the vehicle just for the purpose of powering these auxiliary devices.

On the other hand, if that panel were large enough and efficient enough to supplement the alternator, cause it to be reduced significantly or potentially eliminate the alternator altogether in order to effectively reduce drag on the engine and thereby reduce fossil fuel consumption, and/or reduce/eliminate the heavy, costly and hazardous heavy metal battery to reduce costs to manufacture and run (lighter means more fuel efficient), as well as remove potential toxins (Lead), then we have made serious strides.

Otherwise, a solar panel in a car for purpose of powering and charging a phone is more a novelty than an effective solution.

We're talking cool factor here but friction uses energy, as you stated. An alternator that has satisfied the battery requirements goes into idle mode, this less friction. If every vehicle saves 2 gallons of fuel per year multiplied by the number of vehicles in the US alone that is a significant number of barrels of oil not needed , in the big picture it'd most likely be less than a days worth of fuel used ( without posting a link on how many barrels of oil used in this country per day) but it's a start. Granted we could probably save more than the buy just keeping our tires inflated correctly but it's a fuel savings without any output from the driver on top of the coolness factor and would be another step in bringing the cost of solar power down more, thus more economic savings potential. Mostly there cool factor, as I said before, though in just this one area. Add in the navigation system and other non essential vehicle add ons and there savings could increase.
What I'd really like to see is solar married to wireless charging in the form of a case for the phone itself. A solar panel as a case back. Put the phone anywhere that there's light and it trickle charges.

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4
<><

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X

Actually it's not that far fetched. Most alternators charge at 13.8 to 14.2 volts. With everything we have on cars now, that is a substantial draw over time using more gasoline than needed. If a solar cell in the sunroof/moonroof could off set the draw by these devices, heated seats, daytime running lights, NAVS, phones, entertainment systems, etc. It would help reduce the load on the alternator and increase fuel economy. Will you see tons of MPGs, no you won't even see 1mpg increase but every bit of energy not pulling the alternator down helps. And you could charge the cars battery while it's sitting outside all day long while you work.

We have a camp that is 100% off the grid, well because there isn't a grid up where camp is. We have 3 solar arrays and a bunch of batteries to run the place.

Efin

Diamond Member
Reaction score

Interesting concept fox, but as one that uses his vehicle for an office from time to time, having the charge available to power a laptop etc, without having to start the engine, costing fuel and ultimately engine use that would be saved by having an embedded panel.
Yes the lead acid battery has power, but I've drained mine on several occasions more than desirable and needed a jump because I didn't turn on the engine early enough, to charge the power cell...

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
Interesting concept fox, but as one that uses his vehicle for an office from time to time, having the charge available to power a laptop etc, without having to start the engine, costing fuel and ultimately engine use that would be saved by having an embedded panel.
Yes the lead acid battery has power, but I've drained mine on several occasions more than desirable and needed a jump because I didn't turn on the engine early enough, to charge the power cell...

I'm assuming you're stationary the whole day?

What about this?

13 Watt Briefcase Solar Charger

Efin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
That's a Good Idea, and yes, stationary, at least the truck, [I do move on occasion to get another beer ] , at job site setup before setting a site trailer, and power for the office. I have a panel that I could use, but I'd have to take it out of the 5th wheel... Was just considering it as a built in for future vehicle production, obviously not necessary for many and thus not economic for vehicle production.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk