The Gym and VR

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
PJ-BZ755_GYMMOV_P_20150127135529.jpg

In case you are looking for another reason to maybe jump on the VR bandwagon well this may be another bullet to help your argument.

VR could help you burn some cals. Now before you scratch your head and try and figure out how eating cheetos and staring into some virtual world is going to help you burn calories let me explain.

You have your favorite YT, Netflix, or Hulu show you are trying to catch up on and you normally would do that sitting on the couch. Well how about grab your phone, headset, and favorite bt headphones and go to the gym.

VR is an awesome tool to knock out a session on the stationary bike, row machine, or elliptical and help you take your mind off of the burn by immersing you in another world. It's like cardio theater for every gym. Jump on a stationary piece of equipment and enjoy a show and a sweat. Before you know it you are done with your show, done with a little cardio, and making strides to a healthier you.

Here are the exercises you should obviously avoid using your VR headset:

• Treadmill: Do I really even need to explain all the things that can go wrong, unless you plan on just kung fu gripping the handles all it takes is for one wrong slip before you end up on social media everywhere with people laughing at your misfortune.
  • Stair machine: Similar to the treadmill, more can go wrong than can go right.
  • Anything involving weights: Don't be that guy taking up a good bench, rack, or machine staring off into VR land. It is acceptable to use it on the cardio machines because people expect to to be on that thing for 30 mins to a hour. Machines, racks, and benches people are already trying to fight for equipment to get a good pump, it would be inconsiderate to hold them up while you are in VR land.
  • Anything not stationary, riding a bike, running, rollerskating, skiing, swimming, basically you get the point. You will not be able to be aware of your surroundings so make sure you are some place safe in the gym where you will not cause harm to yourself or others.

So there you have it, it is another tool that can be used to help you get through those boring cardio sessions and get you to burning off some of those holiday calories.

Reactions: cr6

shockracer

Reaction score
The amount of fog I get on my Gear VR with normal use, I couldn't imagine how bad it would be when working out?

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
The amount of fog I get on my Gear VR with normal use, I couldn't imagine how bad it would be when working out?

I didn't have any issues as I used my daydream vr headset today on the stationary bike and then the elliptical and I was pedaling for burn.

I would say I got about 45 mins in catching up on a YT show.

Reactions: cr6

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
I look like I jumped in a pool after a 5k. Can't image what the Google's would look like.

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I look like I jumped in a pool after a 5k. Can't image what the Google's would look like.

Yeah I didnt really think about how wet it will get until later yesterday evening I was wanting to look at a picture I took with Google cardboard camera and the eye piece felt nice and wet. Like when you have already been in it during your workout you don't notice as much because you already sweating but later on after you showered and dry is when you notice. So Ill need to adjust the op to recommend grabbing another couple of face attachments for working out.

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Correction: there are no extra face attachments so this thread is useless for now unless you don't mind a sweaty faceplate that you will have to wash periodically?

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
The smell

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
The smell

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

I'll have to wait until CES to get the Underarmour or Nike sport's edition daydream vr headset to bring this thread back up (that's hoping we see something like that at CES :D, which I doubt but eh never know).