The Galaxy S8's WQHD+ Display Will Default To 1080P

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Galaxy-S8-display-settings-1280x764.png

We have little more than a week to wait before the official unveiling of the Galaxy S8 yet day after day more leaks emerge. Samsung may end up having to give us a roundup of all the leaks at their press event who knows if they will have anything new there. We have already heard that the Galaxy S8 will feature an upgraded screen with an 18.5:9 aspect ratio. This new ratio means the display will be slightly higher resolution then last year's Galaxy S7.

Apparently Samsung will offer three different resolution modes that you will be able to change to conserve battery life or get better performance. The resolutions will be 720P, 1080P, and QHD. The default resolution out of the box will likely be 1080P. This may be in an attempt to conserve battery life on a phone that will feature a smaller battery. I found that the display on my S7 Edge also defaulted to 1080P after the Nougat update. I actually decided to keep my S7E display at 1080P even though the difference is a bit noticeable.

Via @universeIce

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
I don't see how it will conserve battery life as same 4 million pixels will still be burning just your resolution will be worse.

Same when you change resolution on your monitor, the pixels don't turn off just items on the screen look worse.

radon222

Platinum Member
Reaction score
The power saving has more to do with the processor/GPU not having to work as hard than it does how many lighting elements in the screen get turned on or off.