The app that changes ringtype depending where you are

mullen

Reaction score
I remember seeing an app or if it was just on the phone that you can put the ringtype to a certain one depending where you are? I always put my phone on silent when I go to class but always forget to take it off and I miss calls and texts and such. So does anyone know the app?

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
Sorry I do not but I sure hope someone does and tells us.

Mike

acturbo

Reaction score
I remember seeing an app or if it was just on the phone that you can put the ringtype to a certain one depending where you are? I always put my phone on silent when I go to class but always forget to take it off and I miss calls and texts and such. So does anyone know the app?

I think you are referring to tasker? It would allow you to set up a profile to do this.

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the tip acturbo.

Doctordoctor, at my age, I forget so much I do not remember how much I spend so

PS -- can you give me the news :)

heatmisr

Reaction score
I use Vibrate During Meeting. It doesn't look like it does as much as Tasker, but it will monitor your calendar(s) and put your phone on vibrate based on your appointment status being busy, free or both. It has been very reliable for me. Costs $2.99

pjschaffer

Reaction score
Check out Locale. It can change your ringtone, volume and many other phone functions based on time, date, location or even orientation. Works great for me.

Parafly9

Reaction score
Check out Locale. It can change your ringtone, volume and many other phone functions based on time, date, location or even orientation. Works great for me.

I use Setting Profiles. It's cheap and does way more than Locale and is more configurable, IMHO

pjschaffer

Reaction score
I use Setting Profiles. It's cheap and does way more than Locale and is more configurable, IMHO

I hadn't heard of Settings Profiles before. It seems pretty straight forward. The one significant difference I see between it and Locale is that Locale switches settings automatically based on rules while it appears to me that Setting Profiles requires user action to switch profiles.

Depending on what a user is trying to accomplish, this difference may be a deciding factor.

Parafly9

Reaction score

I hadn't heard of Settings Profiles before. It seems pretty straight forward. The one significant difference I see between it and Locale is that Locale switches settings automatically based on rules while it appears to me that Setting Profiles requires user action to switch profiles.

Depending on what a user is trying to accomplish, this difference may be a deciding factor.

Setting profiles will change settings automatically based on rules as well. I have rules setup for when I'm at work, @ home, in the dock @ home, in the car dock, and in the dock @ work, and when I'm in meetings

pjschaffer

Reaction score

Setting profiles will change settings automatically based on rules as well. I have rules setup for when I'm at work, @ home, in the dock @ home, in the car dock, and in the dock @ work, and when I'm in meetings

This is getting a little off topic, but I don't see where Settings Profiles lets you set up rules for the different profiles, I didn't upgrade to the donate version though. Is this a feature of the donate version or am I missing something.

Parafly9

Reaction score

This is getting a little off topic, but I don't see where Settings Profiles lets you set up rules for the different profiles, I didn't upgrade to the donate version though. Is this a feature of the donate version or am I missing something.

Hmm... I do have the full version (it was way cheaper than locale)

Their site says you get one active rule for the free version: (Home Setting Profiles)
Price: $3.95 for Full. Free for Lite (limited to 1 active rule)

It was kind of confusing to me at first but the instructions are pretty good - basically you have to first create PROFILES. The PROFILES are what you want to happen. (example: I have one for Driving that automaticlaly turns on bluetooth, turns on the GPS (if it was off), removes the screen timeout, sets ringtone volume on high).

then you have to set RULES. So My rule is "Activate the profile DRIVING when i'm in the CAR DOCK".

You can also set locations, so i have a LAT / LONG location determeined for work with a wide radious to account for the variances in my location when indoors. I have another PROFILE for "work" which activates at my WORK location.

smokinfish

Reaction score
FoxyRing does this as well. It changes your ringtone based on your location and it also has emergency contacts that will ring when it's on silence. Seems to work as stated

my 2
D

pjschaffer

Reaction score

Hmm... I do have the full version (it was way cheaper than locale)

Their site says you get one active rule for the free version: (Home Setting Profiles)
Price: $3.95 for Full. Free for Lite (limited to 1 active rule)

It was kind of confusing to me at first but the instructions are pretty good - basically you have to first create PROFILES. The PROFILES are what you want to happen. (example: I have one for Driving that automaticlaly turns on bluetooth, turns on the GPS (if it was off), removes the screen timeout, sets ringtone volume on high).

then you have to set RULES. So My rule is "Activate the profile DRIVING when i'm in the CAR DOCK".

You can also set locations, so i have a LAT / LONG location determeined for work with a wide radious to account for the variances in my location when indoors. I have another PROFILE for "work" which activates at my WORK location.

Aha, I see my problem. I was looking at an app called "Settings Profiles" rather than "Setting Profiles Lite". "Setting Profiles Full" looks to be a pretty good and less expensive ($4 vs $11) alternative to Locale although since I've already purchased Locale, I probably won't change.