Texting

bforcucci333

Reaction score
I was looking at apps and is it worth it to get an app for texting? Are they really better than what comes with the phone? I have never used apps and always just used what the phone comes with so this is still new, any help is great, happy new year.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

Beka27

Reaction score
I use handcent... I love it. You can customize it anyway you want. Still does the same thing, just has some added features.

(from Beka's DX)

Taegost

Reaction score
I originally switched to Handcent to fix an issue I was having with the stock app, I have never considered switching back because it's so customizable and easy to use at the same time.

g0dless420

Reaction score
I agree, while the stock texting app does get the job done, apps like Handcent add so much to it. My favorite option is to have new texts show up on the lock screen, with the ability to reply to them from there (without having to unlock the phone at all). Since I text a lot it saves me quite a bit of time being able to read the text. This feature can be disabled if you are worried about people reading your texts while you are away from your phone.

If you dont have to worry about others snooping though, it makes it really slick.

Beka27

Reaction score
I love the pop-up feature! I can resume what I'm doing as soon as I reply without having to go back to it!

cdurrough

Reaction score
I use handcent as my normal app but i have it set so that i have chomp as my pop up. I like it better.

silverfang77

Reaction score
I like Handcent as well because you can customize font color, backgrounds, alert sounds, etc.

bishoy

Reaction score
My favorite option is to have new texts show up on the lock screen, with the ability to reply to them from there (without having to unlock the phone at all).

i have handcent, where in the settings can i find this option?

mardoon

Reaction score
Under setting notification and check enable pop-up

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

tiesto

Reaction score
Hey im kind of new with droids, just got a Droid 2 Global for christmas. So does handcent just send normal texts as if you were sending them from the text messsage app that comes on the phone?

me4droid

Reaction score
yes, it's just like the regular text function except it allows much more customability. You can make it the default text messaging app, or choose which one to use (original droid app or handcent). You'll like it once you figure out all the cool features.

I like that I can have different icons appear in the notification bar for different people. Also, I like being able to customize the color of the notification light!