texting issue/question

mdroid1221

Reaction score
Verizon only allows 160 characters per text msg to non-verizon phones, yet the Droid allows you to continue typing past 160, probably in the case you send to another verizon phone. Question is, why won't verizon allow the whole message to be sent and just put anything past 160 characters into a new msg? My friend has an Iphone and when she sends me a text that is more then 160 characters, then I get multiple text msgs from her. However, if I send her one with more than 160 characters, anything past 160 does not send at all. It seems like it should be such an easy fix for Verizon to do.

djstar2k2

Reaction score
the vzw rep told me that the the other networks dont support 160+ text. but my G1 on t mo would brake them up as well. so is this real deal on vzw or some bs time will tell

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
vzw problem. It's honestly a stupid problem. Didn't you get a notice saying that non-vzw customers only get the first 160 characters? I do...

really lame "limit" considering most of us pay for texting, especially to the ones who have "unlimited" texting.

OP
M

mdroid1221

Reaction score
vzw problem. It's honestly a stupid problem. Didn't you get a notice saying that non-vzw customers only get the first 160 characters? I do...

Yeah, I get this msg after I send a msg with 160+ characters. I just think it's retarded that all the other carriers can do this and break it up into multiple msgs, and vzw seems to be the only one that just cuts off anything after 160. It's so freakin stupid on their part. It was better when I had my Palm 700W because at least on that phone after 160 I could save it into a draft and then continue with a new msg. With the Droid, you can only save one msg into a draft since there is not a dedicated "save to draft" feature like there is when creating an e-mail.

Bateluer

Reaction score
I believe apps like Handcent will automatically split the message up if you go over 160 characters.

sir

Reaction score
yes, Handcent will break it up, and if it's over 3 splits i think it'll convert it to an MMS as well.

MAzing87

Reaction score
yes, Handcent will break it up, and if it's over 3 splits i think it'll convert it to an MMS as well.

Man, you guys are cool. There's always a solution or app to solve some problems. I am loving this smartphone & app experience.

sir

Reaction score
np! others with non-droid phones are also welcome, so long as they don't throw mashed potatoes with their sporks!

OP
M

mdroid1221

Reaction score
So I installed Handcent, and it is a very cool app. However, have a problem. I sent a buddy of mine a long text as a test. He did get the whole thing broken up into 2 separate messages, but he ended up receiving the 2nd half of the message first. Is there a setting to alllow the message to be sent in order?

OP
M

mdroid1221

Reaction score
Just as a follow up, I sent another friend a lengthy text and this too was rec'd out of order and in addition, he rec'd the same message 3 times. I will not be using handcent anymore...too many problems.

chilibilly22

Reaction score
1000 char limit trick

I had this problem and a verizon rep told me how all you need to do is send the person a pic message and it allows you like a 1000 char. message in that format. I am not sure if it breaks it into two messages or not.

dstuckey

Reaction score
the weird thing is, it was not a problem with my Q on the Verizon network...160+ would get broken into 2.
Now on the phone with Motorola. They don't have any answers at all... I'm off to download Handcent.