Texting For Free Application

Dradis

Reaction score
I am looking for a text messaging application that will allow you to text for free but does not require the other user to have the application installed.

OP
Dradis

Dradis

Reaction score
I was reading a little bit about it. Please correct me if I mis-read it. So basically they assign you a "Google" phone number. And I guess I have to let my friends know to use that instead of my cell phone number when texting me.

But is it possible for my friends to use that Google phone number to call my cell phone (voice, not texting)? If so, how does it work if I have an already assigned phone number by my service provider?

Also, can I make my Google phone number private (with no fee involved)?

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
I was reading a little bit about it. Please correct me if I mis-read it. So basically they assign you a "Google" phone number. And I guess I have to let my friends know to use that instead of my cell phone number when texting me.

Yes

But is it possible for my friends to use that Google phone number to call my cell phone (voice, not texting)? If so, how does it work if I have an already assigned phone number by my service provider?

Yes -- You basically use GV as a VOIP service on your phone -- Your provider number is not affected.

Not sure -- Google it.

Answers in red.

born2golf

Reaction score

Yes

Yes -- You basically use GV as a VOIP service on your phone -- Your provider number is not affected.

Not sure -- Google it.

Answers in red.

To be clear, google voice calls require a data connection to complete, but they still use minutes just like any other call. This is not FREE calling.

to give you a better understanding, a google voice number is a forwarding number. You tell google where to send any calls that are dialed into your google voice number. You can send them all to a single phone or send your inbound calls to any or all your phones at the same time (home, mobile, office, wherever). The added benefit of the google voice number is the free texting, which DOES use the 3G data connnection, and not the phone's SMS service. The only downside to the texting is that you must use the google voice app for texting and cannot use the native or other 3rd party apps such as handcent for texting. But on the plus side you can now text from your desktop using the google voice portal.

GV gives you lots more too, as the other poster said, google it.

OP
Dradis

Dradis

Reaction score
So by default calls or texting made via Google number are free because the only way it will work is if the phone has an active voice/data plan service. Does that sound about right?

Also, inorder for texting to work, both phones (sender/receiver) need to have the Google Voice application installed. If so, that is what I was trying to avoid but it sounds like it is unavoidable.

User_Name

Reaction score
You can send text messages using google voice to others without it.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

User_Name

Reaction score
Setup a gmail account ( if you do not already have one) download google voice app.

I found it easier to go to google.com/voice and setup everything from a desktop then go setup on your phone, but your choice.

born2golf

Reaction score
So by default calls or texting made via Google number are free because the only way it will work is if the phone has an active voice/data plan service. Does that sound about right?

Also, inorder for texting to work, both phones (sender/receiver) need to have the Google Voice application installed. If so, that is what I was trying to avoid but it sounds like it is unavoidable.

AGAIN... To be CLEAR... google voice calls are NOT FREE. They use minutes JUST LIKE ANY OTHER CALL.

Google voice texting IS FREE. and your friends do not need google voice to send you text messages.

RIF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

aDroidman

Reaction score
Calls are free if its inside the U.S. out side you haw to pay per minute. I have not had anyone call me on my GV number but I have made calls

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

born2golf

Reaction score
You are falling victim to marketing. Calls are "free" in the sense that Google does not charge you anything to make a domestic call but you still consume calling minutes. So unless you have a plan where you get free minutes the calls are Not Free.

RIF!!

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

Last edited:

User_Name

Reaction score
If you have a plan that gives you the 10 numbers (depending on carrier) to call for free just add your google voice number and you will have unlimited minutes.

Jeyman

Reaction score
If you have a plan that gives you the 10 numbers (depending on carrier) to call for free just add your google voice number and you will have unlimited minutes.

is that for real lol? Sorta adds up seeing how GV routs the call. hmm never go over my minutes but I may get some use out of this someday lol.

Last edited:

cleave

Reaction score
You can also use the gv number to make calls directly from your gmail account on your computer...for free, without using your cell phone minutes. Only calls within the US are free though.

★Sent using my thumbs★