Text Messaging Questions

Brick Taco

Reaction score
So I'm on day 2 of my Droid. With all my previous VZW phones I was able to see a delivery confirmation time if I sent the message to another VZW customer. I don't see that with the Droid, and I haven't been able to find a option to show it. Is this possible with the Droid?

Resending Sent messages - with previous phones I could go look at the sent message, change who i sent it to, and resend the same message. It was kind of handy for when I forgot to send a message to someone. Instead of retyping the message I could just add a contact and send it it to them. Is there a way to do that with the Droid?

Going over 160 characters. I don't see a character counter anymore. If I type a message over 160 and send it to a non-VZW will they get the additional characters? That used to piss me off so much.

Ghostwheel

Reaction score
So I'm on day 2 of my Droid. With all my previous VZW phones I was able to see a delivery confirmation time if I sent the message to another VZW customer. I don't see that with the Droid, and I haven't been able to find a option to show it. Is this possible with the Droid?

Resending Sent messages - with previous phones I could go look at the sent message, change who i sent it to, and resend the same message. It was kind of handy for when I forgot to send a message to someone. Instead of retyping the message I could just add a contact and send it it to them. Is there a way to do that with the Droid?

Going over 160 characters. I don't see a character counter anymore. If I type a message over 160 and send it to a non-VZW will they get the additional characters? That used to piss me off so much.

1) In the SMS menu, there is a check box to enable delivery information. Do that, and then you can long press on sent messages to see the delivery info. There is no built-in "read receipt" type of functionality, though. Maybe with one of the SMS apps (HandCent or ChompSMS).

2) Not sure, but again, if you can't find the option when you long press a sent message, try one of the above apps.

3) I think once you get close to the limit, a counter appears. I seem to remember this happening to me once (I don't usually get close to 160 in mine).

big.daddy

Reaction score
for the text limit, there is a feature in handcent that breaks messages upfor you.

Laramie

Reaction score

3) I think once you get close to the limit, a counter appears. I seem to remember this happening to me once (I don't usually get close to 160 in mine).

Yes, in the stock messaging app, once you go over 160, you'll get a /2 to show you're on second page of text and character limit. Handcent will give you a countdown character limit as you start entering text.

dieselbmw

Reaction score
Contact List???

I also have another question. When selecting who you want to send the message to you have to start typing the persons name. On my old phones I could pull up the entire contact list and check off who I wanted to send it to. This doesn't seem to be possible on the Droid. Can you get the entire contact list and check off who to send it to on the Droid???

Murz

Reaction score

You can long press and copy/paste the message you want to resend.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
I didn't think those were complicated questions
You have to realize that any discussion forum isn't your personal tech support site. You may or may not get answers in a timely fashion.

dieselbmw

Reaction score
Are there any messaging apps in which you can pull up the contact list to send text messages if you cant do it on the stock one???

stevehy

Reaction score
In Handcent click the plus symbol and the entire contract list shows, select the contacts you want the message to go to. It also does most of what you want and more. The best messaging app you can find on any platform.

dieselbmw

Reaction score
In Handcent click the plus symbol and the entire contract list shows, select the contacts you want the message to go to. It also does most of what you want and more. The best messaging app you can find on any platform.

oh okay great thanks! Can you get the contact list on the stock messaging app??? Do you just use handscent instead of the standard?

Sleeve

Reaction score
Be sure to check the thread that talks about how to shut off double notifications after you install handcent. You'll probably figure it out on your own, but it's a helpful thread if you need it.

I haven't used the stock app since about day 4 after getting my Droid.

OP
B

Brick Taco

Reaction score
Be sure to check the thread that talks about how to shut off double notifications after you install handcent. You'll probably figure it out on your own, but it's a helpful thread if you need it.

I haven't used the stock app since about day 4 after getting my Droid.

I thought I had it set up right, but something seems off. If I get a text when my screen is dark is goes through to regular messaging program. If the screen was lit up before the text comes then it goes through Handcent. I don't know what I have set up incorrectly. The only thing I have enabled in the stock messaging app is Delete old messages