Text messages while in car dock

RichStevenson

Reaction score
So I had my Bionic in the car dock today, and received a text message. A box popped up and a voice asked me to say Listen if I wanted the message read to me. It then proceeded to read the incoming text to me! Pretty cool and unexpected. Not sure if this is a function of the car dock, or a function of Handcent. Anyone know for sure?

zomnomnombie

Reaction score
Just thought I'd make a comment saying that is awesome.

Sent from my R2 unit using DroidForums

Arkbird

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
I didn't know it did that. Nice! I actually just discovered today that the Bionic has speech-to-text capabilities (yeah I'm slow). So now I can just say what I want in a text message instead of typing. Pretty nice for driving or if I don't feel like typing.

Reaction score
Not a handcent function. part of the car dock app. I actually use an alternative car dock app and it still reads the text messages to me. I actually want to find a way to turn it off

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

mandragora

Reaction score
I was also surprised when that happened to me yesterday. The only thing missing is for it to ask you if you want to reply. :D

ConqSoft

Reaction score
Yep, it's a feature of the Car Dock Mode, and a feature that can't currently be disabled it seems. :( Posted on the Moto Support forums asking for an option. It gets annoying at times.

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I suppose that would get annoying. Especially since I have a work phone too. Talking on the phone and something blabbing away in the background lol.

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
I know on my d2g I was able to hit a button for it to read it to me, it wasn't automatic though. they should probably make it optional

Renae

Reaction score
I have not had this happen to me...

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

jthorpe

Reaction score
Not a handcent function. part of the car dock app. I actually use an alternative car dock app and it still reads the text messages to me. I actually want to find a way to turn it off

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

Same here. I cannot stand it as it makes things even harder to deal with. When I'm docked, I can hear that a message comes in and that's all I want. I don't want a stupid pop-up coming up with options when I don't even want to read the message until I'm stopped. It's driving me nuts. ...and since I use this car dock 8 to 10 hours a day, it's doublly annoying.