Text message question

Earthwalker

Reaction score
On my "dumb" phone I learned to do most of everything I needed via text message. I could update twitter and facebook at the same time. I could type in 1 text and send it to manyh people. I could also put my contact into a group and I could easily send a text message to a group. I could even choose who in the group to send it to.

Is there a way to send 1 text message to multiple places at once?
Is there a way to group my contacts?

Thanks

Stigy

Reaction score
When ChompSMS is ported over to 2.0 it contains a feature that allows you to add multiple people per SMS.

I don't believe it supports grouping contacts, but you can send to multiple people at once which is an improvement over the stock messaging app.

OP
E

Earthwalker

Reaction score
So I need to get a 3rd party app to do what I can do with a simple phone??? That is sad.

Thanks for the info.

Stigy

Reaction score
There are a few features in feature phones that Android lacks, but in my opinion the pros GREATLY outweigh the cons.

Droider

Reaction score
Yes, in a way it is sad that it lacks such a simple feature. At the very least it should be able to input the "groups" you can create in your Gmail list of Contacts.

With the default app, you can manually enter more than one person in the "To" field but there are no "groups." As was mentioned, there are probably some SMS apps on the Market that will do this. My favorite SMS app is ChompSMS which isn't yet available for Android 2.0.

Google keeps adding more features to each update of Android. There's now been 3 or 4 major updates in the last year bringing us up to Android 2.0. I'm guessing they will improve the SMS/MMS app at some point although Google's stated intentions from the start have been to rely on the developer community to build many apps which will replace the basic built in apps.

eap369

Reaction score
question, i can send video, picture, recorded notes, mms but not mp3 files, anyone know why? the file isnt large only 15sec, my storm had no problem as long as its under 300kb and the file is 275.

pwo

Reaction score
For everyone on this thread so far> this question has been aswered, this phone does do message to multiple contacts:

Quote: Originally Posted by Stigy
Quote: Originally Posted by rayray
Anyhbody know how to send a text to multiple contacts?

Unfortunately this is not a feature in the Android stock messaging application.

When ChompSMS gets ported for use in 2.0 it allows you to click a "+" button and select multiple contacts to send too. I am not sure if HandcentSMS does this or not, but I know Chomp does.

So when it is available for 2.0 be on the look out.

pwo responded:

Sure it is:

open the messaging app., then select TO:, then type name or number (if the name is in your contacts a drop down menu will appear with possible options) select the name when it appears in the drop down menu, once you select the name it will appear in the TO: box along with a comma, tap after the comma and add another name or number, when done type txt and press send.:biggrin:

Ask another?

To the moderaters, if we do not start policing this site it will be full of useless info. in no time. We need to encourage people to use the search option and try to find info. themselves and read a little prior to posting questions that have been asked over and over.... HELP make this a quality site...
Thank You,
pwo
p.s. I am really not trying to be an ass....

Nick177th

Reaction score
That's funny because in the manual it says something about adding groups to your contacts. Haven't figured out where from though.

ToddP0530

Reaction score
Bottom line people ... you can send SMS to multiple contacts WITHOUT third party app. Don't trash the phone when it's an operator error. This phone can do so much, it's going to difficult to figure it all out in a weekend.

pwo

Reaction score
That's funny because in the manual it says something about adding groups to your contacts. Haven't figured out where from though.

Alright guys,
I got a work around for you to set up groups. May be more irritating then beneficial, but if you really want to just display certain groups in you contacts at any given time here you go:

First go to your computer and log into your gmail account. While in gmail at your computer go to contacts and set your groups up the way you want them.

Next, Log off gmail.

Open contacts on your Droid.

From within the Contacts select Menu->'Display options', Select your Google account, Uncheck 'My Contacts' and Check whatever group you want to display, Press 'Done'. At this point you should be returned to Contacts with only the group you chose visible.

This is the only way I have found to do this within the default Contacts.

I hope this helps!

Still no way to send one txt to everyone in a group as of now.... other than manually adding each one to the message, one at a time...

Last edited:

ThePhoneGuy

Reaction score
text messages confirmations

Anyone know where to go to confirm that your sent text message was delivered/received. The DARE had a check mark next to Verizon customers messages which confirmed the message was delivered.

pwo

Reaction score
Anyone know where to go to confirm that your sent text message was delivered/received. The DARE had a check mark next to Verizon customers messages which confirmed the message was delivered.

I got you good buddy, check it out:

Open messaging on your phone.

Press menu, pop up will appear.

Select settings.

Ensure delivery report check mark is highlighted for both SMS and MMS.

You can also chose a read report if you wish.
You will get the checkmarks next to the message from here on out, that verify that message was sent or not.

Let me know if I can be of any other service to you.

pwo

Reaction score
alright, I am gone for tonight. Picking up Modern Warfare 2 prestige edition at midnight. I will be busy for a while.

This has been a good week, first the droid, now Modern Warfare 2. It feels like Christmas...