Text Message Memory Full

GMadd33

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Even after deleting all existing messages from my Droid, I still get the message Text Message memory Full. Any Ideas? I have already powered down and up a few times with no success. Right now, Using advanced app manager, I see 52MB memory free and 8GB of SD card free. I also get an occassional Low on space with Body of message: Phone storage space is getting low since this started happening. I have tried using 2 other messaging programs to no avail: Handcent and ChompSMS. This has been going on for at least 3 days now.

tjarmstrong

Reaction score
Full here too...

Same here. I had to delete a few unused apps to be able to receive msgs again.

What gives?

Big Cam

Reaction score
Maybe 52mb is not enough for the phone to opperate and hold sms data.

I ahve at least 50 apps and I have 135mb free, and that's including the easrt mb hog.

How many apps do you have??

I'd suggest goig tinto your manage apps section, change the filter to all, and clear all the cache.

The browser and youtube hold alot of cache memory.

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
This happened a while ago to me too. Deleting apps, not messages, fixed the issue.

jbl79705

Reaction score
This is happening to me also... has Motorola came up with any solutions or are we left to troubleshooting this problem on our own?

da404lewzer

Reaction score
The same thing is happening to me. I am getting the message "Unable to manage your messages because your storage is full. Please delete content for other applications to make more space." I have tried restarting and all sorts of things. I don't have many apps installed, here is my storage breakdown:

SD Card: Total 14.93 GB -- Free 8.59 GB
Phone Storage: 6.60 GB -- Free 1.44 GB
Phone Memory: 748 MB -- Free 583 MB

What the hell?? I didn't purchase all this extra space so the device can sit there deciding which oreo to eat next... This problem is frankly EMBARRASSING.

I have a theory: When you connect your phone to your pc, you only get access to the EMMC folder.. maybe internally it's handling a Recycle Bin type setup for the device and it's never being emptied? Perhaps there are tmp folders on the rest of the system that are getting full? Es File Explorer doesn't turn up much, but who's saying the OS doesn't hide system files from apps..?

Last edited by a moderator:

da404lewzer

Reaction score
Also, there IS a temporary workaround to viewing text messages once it starts reporting space issues...

Step 1) Long Hold the txt message and select "Open Contact"
Step 2) Select Messages at bottom (2nd Icon)
Step 3) Click the newest message to view and reply as normal

This is proof there is plenty of memory/space!!! It works perfectly, shows messages coming in and lets messages go out. However, if you back out of the message, you will have to follow the same steps to get back. Sucks? Yes. But at least I can still get txt's while having "zero" space in my 10 GB of free space... *sigh*

da404lewzer

Reaction score
I just recorded a video of the problem for all to see. Sorry it's rotated.

[video=youtube;L2B9QFXZHQM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2B9QFXZHQM]YouTube - Google Android can't determine free space[/video]

esundberg

Reaction score
I had the same issue.

14G free on SD
5G free on internal storage
and 500M Memory Free.

Talk to Verizon. They said they need to do a Master Reset. I told them to shove it. Then they sent me to HTC Support 866-449-8358. They said that each carrier writes there own messaging Apps.

Long and the Short is the Verizon Messaging Apps Sucks and doesn't know how to compute storage space.... So ****ty that you can't even view a message that is already on the phone.

The Fix...Dont use the verizon Messaging app Download "Handcent SMS" instead its free and so far not bad.

Use Handcent SMS :icon_ banana:

Donnaw205

Reaction score
You need to go under your email, select the menu, go under folders, delete your trash mail

esundberg

Reaction score
Trash/Junk email folders were empty for me. And still had the same issue.