Text message app??

chrisd56

Reaction score
I really love this phone exept for one thing, i am unable to send a text message to more than one person at a time. If i go to "compose new message" and try to type in a name like lets say "Frank" which is a contact in my phone, it does not show up as a match to my contatcs and when i send the message to "Frank" it does not go through.

Now if i do the same thing and type in just Franks phone number it works. Without being able to type in a name i obviously can not type in more than one and send a group text and of course i know no ones actual number off the top of my head.

Is there any kind of texting app to fix this or is this a glitch in my phone?

rubrown

Reaction score
As much as I agree with the above handcent post your phone should not be doing that. I've never had a problem like that sending texts. Call verizon. Or take it to the store.

Stigy

Reaction score
What happens if you go into Contacts and then press & hold on Frank's name. Do you get an option to "Send text message" or "Send SMS"?

Let us know the outcome of the above as it would be interesting to see.

thefalloftroy

Reaction score
So I downloaded Handcent.. like it a lot, but I am getting doubles in SMS w/ Messaging and Handcent now.. how do i turn off messaging??

OP
C

chrisd56

Reaction score
ok....so i just figured out that if you don't have the contact in your phone listed as 'Mobile" it will not activate the search option drop down when you start typing the letters in the To_______ box.

Changed all to mobile and now they come up and i can even group text now!!!!

Stigy

Reaction score
So I downloaded Handcent.. like it a lot, but I am getting doubles in SMS w/ Messaging and Handcent now.. how do i turn off messaging??
To turn off notifications in the stock Messaging app go into Messaging and then click:

Menu > Settings > Uncheck Notifications

This will only give you a notification via Handcent.

thefalloftroy

Reaction score
and how do you turn off auto-spell check.. i hate always being corrected... and i cant seem to find an option when dealing w/ "Messaging"..i found an option w/ Handcent but it didnt work when I unchecked the box

NvrEnough

Reaction score
I keep getting two notifications when I get a text. One from the stock app and one from handcent. How do I turn off the orginal sms that came with droid so I only get one notifcation?

phamous

Reaction score
I keep getting two notifications when I get a text. One from the stock app and one from handcent. How do I turn off the orginal sms that came with droid so I only get one notifcation?

come on man... not to be rude, but just read the thread! One of the moderators already explained how to fix it...

Turn off notifications in the default messaging app. Go to the messaging application, go to settings, look under notifications, and uncheck the box. WAHPOW! Done!

---
Wanna turn off auto correct? "there's an app for that" (CALLED SETTINGS!)

"there's a setting for that"

go to settings by pressing the menu key, then going to text and locale,

then uncheck whatever you don't want!

wahpow!

OP
C

chrisd56

Reaction score
as long as you have your contacts set as "mobile" in their profile you can type in their name and it will come up in the TO_____________ box. It will have a comma next to it, start typing a second name and it will come up and so on.