Text Lag is Back

zehduck

Reaction score
I am looking at the facebook app right now and there aren't sync or remove options in the facebook app itself... There's a refresh interval?

Try going into the user accounts and deleting the login account for the facebook app...if that doesn't work you will just have to do a factory reset. When you do that add your facebook account to the motorola accounts/settings (this will add all your facebook contacts into your contacts list) but when you download the facebook app from the market make sure and choose the option to not sync any contacts. This should keep your sms snappy and keep the app from adding multiple facebook profiles for each contact. Also the app will add an account called "facebook login" to your user accounts. Click on that account and make sure the sync option is unchecked...sorry if this has been confusing, its hard to explain by typing.

OP
LunaImages

LunaImages

Reaction score
I have been looking at some other forums and I think they have figured this problem out. As I thought this was a problem with the Blur syncing up all the facebook contacts and slowing the sms app down, it appears that the actual facebook app from the market place is to blame. Most people will set both these accounts up on their DX, but when the Facebook app gives you the option to sync your contacts with facebook, but it seems to repeat this process daily and/or everytime you reboot your DX. I noticed it doing this when I went into my contacts and noticed that some contacts would have many linked profiles (up to 50-100) and most of them would be the facebook app. I think all these links are what is slowing down the sms app.

What I suggest is to go into the facebook app settings and select the option to where it doesnt sync and removes all facebook material and then just let the blur/settings facebook account be your only sync. I have done this and my DX is flying.

Sorry if this has been a little confusing...

I have to disagree. While it may contribute to the problem, I've never had the Facebook market app installed. I still think it's an issue that only surfaces on a few phones; my friend has over 1,000 friends synced with Motoblur (same as me), but has had none of the issues I have. My fiance also has a DX, and has had no issues. Because of this reason alone, I'm convinced this is problem is not global and has only affected a certain number of phones.

You guys need to call Motorola and start spreading the word about this issue if you haven't already. Let's keep the conversation going and post Moto's responses in this thread. I haven't been able to find any other lengthy discussion like this on the internet, so it would be nice to have at least one resource on the topic out there for anybody else having the same problem.

I'm getting my new DX sometime in the next two weeks, so I'll keep you all posted if the issue resurfaces in that unit.

BK1ng82

Reaction score
I was having these same problems so I tried to remove my facebook account from the blur services (under my accounts) After I removed my account, I powered down the phone and rebooted and tried to add my account again. It worked and I can now post facebook statuses but under my contacts it lists I have no facebook contacts and can no longer message and write wall posts from the contact application. Also, the Facebook app from the market doesn't allow to sync contacts on the Droid X it only works on the original Droid. I found this really strange and was wondering if anyone else had this issue.

Chaosbourne

Reaction score
I called both Verizon and Motorola today.

For Motorola, be prepared to wait some time, and then they will schedule a time to call you back. I called today (Wednesday) and they said they would call me back on Friday. So be prepared to do a little waiting.

When I called Verizon, the technical support said they had never heard of this problem.......which means that though the Verizon lady was very helpful for you, she did not in fact deal with and log the problem with the technical support people.

This sucks. We might all be royally screwed.

OP
LunaImages

LunaImages

Reaction score
I called both Verizon and Motorola today.

For Motorola, be prepared to wait some time, and then they will schedule a time to call you back. I called today (Wednesday) and they said they would call me back on Friday. So be prepared to do a little waiting.

When I called Verizon, the technical support said they had never heard of this problem.......which means that though the Verizon lady was very helpful for you, she did not in fact deal with and log the problem with the technical support people.

This sucks. We might all be royally screwed.

That may not be true. If it's only a small problem, chances are it hasn't been added to their list of "reported" problems. If only one or two people call it in, I'm sure they won't go through the trouble of admitting to there being a widespread problem; the more people call, the greater the chances of them realizing there is actually an issue.

Update: My phone was reset last week, and the problem has once again returned. My fiance's DX, on the other hand, is problem free. Really interesting...my replacement phone should be here by the end of the week.

djbis

Reaction score
Just wanted to update my situation. I waited for a 2.2 update for the X but have not received it.

After doing some more studying on this case and not having any success I had to reset the phone (to factory settings).

Keep the sync feature for your facebook account COMPLETELY off, even the partial setting for contacts that ALREADY exist on your phone may end up fouling up your X again. If you make the mistake of allowing sync, go back and DISABLE it before you go to bed or at a time when your phone is on the charger and not needed for the next 2 to 4 hours. After you make your selection to disable sync on your FB account, your phone will likely reboot and remain on the "EYE BOOT SCREEN" for more than an hour. This is normal. Do not remove the battery while this LONG reboot occurs!
If you let it do its thing it will come back as you desired: without the facebook syncing.
You may notice that your phone may react slowly for the next couple hours as the phone finalizes the new configuration and removal of contact sync assignments.

After that it should be smooth sailing.

Bottom line, users with a high number of FB friends should disable FB sync for now. If you do make the mistake of enabling the feature, follow the instructions above. If that does not help, your phone will need to be reset.

Verizon stores can backup much of your apps, multimedia, etc and help you with the reset.

arjejackson

Reaction score
Omg

I really thought I was the only person going this issue. I am having the exact same issue. I've completed a factory reset. The phone worked perfectly until I synced the facebook contacts which I have about 5000 FB contacts and over 800 phone contacts. I know for a fact that it's the facebook contacts that causing this issue because I didn't add my facebook contacts for a week after the factory reset and the phone worked without a glitch. The moment I added the facebook contacts sync, it started with the texting issue all over again. I cannot wait for them to fix this problem. It's too frustrating. I have over 40 text messages that I cannot access because the app consistently forecloses. Thanks so much

OP
LunaImages

LunaImages

Reaction score
Well, I got the new Droid X today, and things seem to be working fine so far.

In addition to what you guys have been saying, my fiance synced her accounts and the phone still runs fine after several weeks. She's got tons of contacts, but has seen none of the problems I did.

I won't be using motoblur anymore to sync my accounts, if only because I can't stand the fact that it ends up putting all my friends into my contacts list. I'll let you know if the problem reappears. If in the off-chance that any of Moto's developers run across this thread, it would probably be best to keep posting related-issues here, as it seems to be the largest thread on the topic, and might give them something to go off of. If you guys call tech support, make them aware of this thread.

Chaosbourne

Reaction score
Fix?

Hey all,

I figured out an easy way to fix the problem. Go to the Marketplace and download TaskManager.

This program clears your cache of any programs that are just running for no reason, including any social networking aps. I've not had a lag problem since downloading this ap. Any of you having this problem, try it out and let me know if it fixes the problem or not.

Reaction score
Wow, here we are in October and still no definitive solution to the issue. I have the DX and suspected the Facebook app is the culprit and have been shot down by a Verizon tech and some other forum members in some of the other Droid forums.

I noticed that it takes awhile for my contacts and texts messages to load up the names, pics, and threads. Once they are all fully loaded my DX works fine. If I try to make any other moves while it's loading then several different problems occur. The loading process takes several MINUTES, not seconds, for me and my DX is only a month old. Once I downloaded the Froyo OS upgrade my DX's performance picked up quite a bit and even the contacts and text messages were responding quickly, however, ONLY the contacts and text messages were slower than anything else on the device. Now I'm almost back to where I was while I had Android 2.1 software loaded on the device.

I have over 2k contacts between my phone, fb, and twitter accounts. I believe the OP that this is an isolated issue for some of the DXs out there, not all of them. Facebook is actually pretty important to me as I personally deal with a lot of people on my friends list so deleting it or setting it to not sync to my contacts is not an option for me. Besides, this device was developed with this in mind.

Task Killer was the 2nd app I downloaded to my phone so I have to disagree that that Task Killer is a fix to this issue. My next step is to now call Motorola, report the issue, tell them about this forum, and get a case number. It seems not many people understand how big technological companies such as Motorola and Verizon handle these types of issues and resolve them. If you don't call, yes YOU, then Motorola and Verizon will not acknowledge a problem with these devices since YOU are not complaining about it, they will assume you can live with the issue.

The DX is a great device, but when you can't use it to contact people what is the use of it? It might as well be anything, but a phone. With the official release of 2.2 on Sept. 22nd Motorola apparently didn't and still doesn't know of this issue. I say this because the latest official software does not fix the issue we are all dealing with in this thread. So with this in mind people, please pick up your phones and call Verizon and then Motorola...tell them you want to report an issue and get a case number. Eventually, with enough DX owners complaining they will be forced to formerly address it as a "known issue" and develop a fix.

ttcoles

Reaction score
I screwed it up now!

HELP ME PLEASEEEE!

So I was having the same text contact lag..... I thought I was deleting my facebook syncing, but obviously did something else. my phone takes FOREVER to power on , and doesnt ever let me get to the home screen. I have no access to menu or anything! only my task killer and my skip lock gadget! WHAT DO I DO!!!!!!??? PLEASE HELP ME! <3 :icon_eek::icon_eek::icon_eek: