Tethering...

Misha

Reaction score
I currently have the original Droid, my update is later this month and I need to decide which phone best suits my needs. My main concern is tethering. Currently I use Easy tether and just hook it to my laptop using a usb cable and it works perfect. My question is will the Bionic allow me to still do this? My account right now is unlimited data but I keep hearing things about being charged an additional fee if I tether or being put into the tiered data plan for the time that I do tether…If the bionic is going to make me do this I might have to find another option. Any help on this would be appreciated.

wseyller

Reaction score
I use PDAnet. I hear that easy tether also works. As far as being caught and then charged fees or being put into tiered data, I haven't heard of a single case of that happening. Not saying it wouldn't happen. I would like anyone to show me indisputable proof that it has ever happened. Carriers do use fear, uncertainty and doubt (FUD) to try and minimize tether but I have never heard of one act on it in this way.

TBOLT132

Reaction score
Misha I just installed easy tether do you have to have it plugged into the computer? I was hoping I could use it in the car so my kids could use the iPad and use the easy tether is that possible also includes see it shows up on my iPad and it asks for a password to connect where do you get the password? Sorry for all the questions
Thanks

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

OP
M

Misha

Reaction score
Thanks for the info wseller! I really do appreciate it and am not surprised that they use FUD. TBOLT132 I have only ever used mine through a USB cable and do not think you can use it any other way....I have heard PDAnet can be used without a connection (although I have never tried this). When I got easy tether though I was able to use it for 30 days free and after the 30 days I had to purchase the app for $9.99 (one time fee) and they will email you a password you have to put in to use it after the 30 day trial period. Hopefully that helps.

Al Neri

Reaction score
I turned on tethering and got a message about having to pay a monthly fee. I didn't venture any further. I would hardly use any data-I have never gone over 1.5GB so I don't see how they cna charge me double (I am on the unlimited plan). Oh well I don't have the need to tether often anyway.

OP
M

Misha

Reaction score
Al which app were you using to tether from?

wseyller

Reaction score
I turned on tethering and got a message about having to pay a monthly fee. I didn't venture any further. I would hardly use any data-I have never gone over 1.5GB so I don't see how they cna charge me double (I am on the unlimited plan). Oh well I don't have the need to tether often anyway.

That is the built in tethering option. Don't use it but instead use a third party app such as easytether or pdanet which are a one time pay app. A free option is "Wired Tethering for Root User" not in the market. Google that and you should find it.

tcayton49

Reaction score
The Bionic actually has native USB tethering that is free to use. If you want to use the wireless hotspot, there is a fee for that, but if you just want to connect to one computer via USB you can use the built in USB tethering for free. I've been doing it since a couple days after I got my Bionic.

giant25

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
Wait, what? The native USB tethering is free? That's news to me...

tcayton49

Reaction score
Wait, what? The native USB tethering is free? That's news to me...

Yes, the native USB tethering is free. The wireless is not but the USB is.
Either that or they just like me a lot and aren't charging me for it.

edlow

Reaction score
Yes, the native USB tethering is free. The wireless is not but the USB is.
Either that or they just like me a lot and aren't charging me for it.

Can you explain how you were able to get it to worK?