Tethering a Rooted X2!

Milo_Azar

Reaction score
I am new on here and have searched for this topic but have not found what I was looking for... Probably just tired of looking at a computer screen... lol

Anyways I have a rooted X2, and was looking for a good tethering app to use.. I have read all the legal and illegal controversy topics and know all about it... so PLEASE don't comment if your just going to say it's illegal and shouldn't do it...we are all guilty of something that is illegal whether it's speeding, texting and driving, drinking and driving, nobody is 100% innocent anymore...

My question is does anyone know of a good tethering app for rooted Droid x2's? I tried android-wifi-tether but it didn't work when I installed it, said something about not having the right kernals... if you know how to get this one to work I would appreciate it, or if you know one that works already for a rooted x2, that would be even better. Thanks

OP
M

Milo_Azar

Reaction score
you know I tried it again after you posted that and it works! thanks, guess I just didn't read it all the way!

MikeJ92YJ

Reaction score
Tethering Isn't As Illegal As People Make It Out To Be. Go Into The Market And EasyTether And PDANet Are Free And They Don't Need A Verizon Tether Plan.

MistaWolfe

Reaction score
Tethering Isn't As Illegal As People Make It Out To Be. Go Into The Market And EasyTether And PDANet Are Free And They Don't Need A Verizon Tether Plan.

I don't think that's what he meant. He meant tethering by circumventing verizons additional hotpot plan.

Sent from my DROID X2 using DroidForums

OP
M

Milo_Azar

Reaction score
I know about tethering with easy tether, i used to use it with my droid 1. I just wanted to use the wireless to run 2 computers at once... i know you can use hotspot, but don't want to pay for the usage if I go over. It's not something I plan on doing a lot of, just be nice to have that option. Thanks for the help and info!

Meticode

Reaction score
Not that it really makes a difference, but does anyone know if USB Tethering works on the X2? I can get the Wireless Tether app to work, but when I run the USB one with it hooked into my PC the PC doesn't detect anything when it's enabled.

Snow02

Reaction score
Not that it really makes a difference, but does anyone know if USB Tethering works on the X2? I can get the Wireless Tether app to work, but when I run the USB one with it hooked into my PC the PC doesn't detect anything when it's enabled.

USB tethering functionality has been stripped from the kernel. It will not work.

Edit: Yes, pdanet and easytether will work fine.

Last edited:

BRoCKLoCK

Reaction score
So after having a chance to try the WiFi Tether out, how is it performing? Have you had any issuses? Random Reboots? Access Protection or Security Problems? Heat Issues? A follow up would be appreciated. Thanks

Insidious

Reaction score
Opengarden tether works very well and you can tether to your other mobile devices with it wifi enabled phones/ipods/ipads/tablets/etc.

OP
M

Milo_Azar

Reaction score
The little that I have used the wifi tether it has worked good. I haven't had any issues connecting with my pc, but when I have tried to connect to it using other cell phones (whether they are droids, iphones) they usually don't see it on their wifi. I'm not sure if that is normal or not, but connecting with my laptop or pc's it works great. In fact I'm using it right now just to use.

I also found that easytether works really well to, kinda nice to have a back up in case I can't get the wireless tether to work. I haven't used them as much as I used to, I used to us easy tether all the time with my Droid 1, my station I was at didn't always have internet access. Since I have been moved I haven't had a station so, no need to have internet access. Hopefully I get a chance in the future to use it more regularly.

Thanks for your help...

If anyone knows where I can get the flash for the 2.3 update I would like to know where it is. I have been googling for it and can't find it. Thanks.

BRoCKLoCK

Reaction score
If anyone knows where I can get the flash for the 2.3 update I would like to know where it is. I have been googling for it and can't find it. Thanks.

By this statement i'm assuming u are rooted on 2.2.2 FroYo? Is there anyone rooted on 2.3.3 GB? And also, has anyone had any success downloaded bigger files, like <100MB? I'm glad to know that the WiFi Tether functionality works when rooted. But I am curious as to HOW good it works. On my OG DROID it works w/o a hitch, no problems whatsoever (except when people call in it sometimes screws up cus of the no data while on your cell radio) but other than that it basically a Unlimited WiFi Hotspot. Then again there has been so much development for the original Droid, with some custom roms having the feature built in and so forth. I have a Droid X2 and would like to retain this functionality, when needed (sometimes in public it helps me to connect to my ipad, ect.) But i also have just bought the X2 (saleswoman sold me on buy on get one free.) Luckily I am within my 14 days to return it, of course I picked it up 2 days before they started running ads for the Bionic (Doh!) so i am probably gonna take them back to get that (only been waiting since Jan. with a half busted up 20 month old Droid.) Hopefully she can get me buy one get one free something cus thats how i got my OG Droid (and my gf willl be pissed when i take her phone back.)

Anyway, and firther discussion about how the Wifi Tether is working would be appreciated. I might just root this thing and see what happens. But Id like to at least have some peace of mind that its for a reason other that it to be rooted (whoooh... lol) Thx