Tethered to my laptop using pdanet...overage on shared minutes?!!!...

slickstreem

Reaction score
I have am unlimited data plan with Verizon and used pdanet on my road trip. We had it on most of the ride...close to 20 hours. I got a text from some 9000 number saying i would get a bill in December! I checked my phone usage and it is saying that I have an allowable 450 shared minutes and I've used 6500!!!! Anyone ever heard of them charging data to minutes?

Sent from my ADR6300 using DroidForums App

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
Track the 900 number. You could have been 'roaming' or something. Check your account online and see what the min breakdown is or the data usage. Should be able to see the details on it one way or another (even if it's 'roaming').

Either way since you were in violation of your agreement/contact by tethering they can probably get away with a lot up-to and including voiding your contract. Personally I've been waiting for them to start nailing people who are tethering and will be glad when they start billing/fining people... especially people that do it excessively, and yes 20+ hrs would qualify.

mcatdtDroid

Reaction score
Track the 900 number. You could have been 'roaming' or something. Check your account online and see what the min breakdown is or the data usage. Should be able to see the details on it one way or another (even if it's 'roaming').

Either way since you were in violation of your agreement/contact by tethering they can probably get away with a lot up-to and including voiding your contract. Personally I've been waiting for them to start nailing people who are tethering and will be glad when they start billing/fining people... especially people that do it excessively, and yes 20+ hrs would qualify.

bitter, party of one

I agree, this sounds more like a roaming issue than a tethering issue.... but I lol at the bitterness of people who think I'm ruining it for them by cancelling my home inet and tethering 100% for my internet needs. bwahahaha

OP
S

slickstreem

Reaction score
Excuse my ignorance in this matter but I guess I'm just not sure why they can charge for internet usage I pay for from the phone, just viewed on my laptop.

CD95YJ

Reaction score
Please tell me how teathering my phone is againts the rules? I had programs that came with my old BB storm that allowed me to teather through USB to access my phones 3G signal and pdanet doesn't broadcast your signal like a wifi hotspot. Even then you can hardwire your Droid using USB and pdanet and still be in compliance. The only issue is broadcasting a wifi signal because big red charges for that service, so if your not using a wifi app, guess what... your not violating any agreement.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

CD95YJ

Reaction score
Your charges could be for roaming and not necessarily for data.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

Champers

Reaction score
Excuse my ignorance in this matter but I guess I'm just not sure why they can charge for internet usage I pay for from the phone, just viewed on my laptop.

Because there is a clause somewhere in the contract you signed stating something to the effect of: I will not tether.

OP
S

slickstreem

Reaction score
I'm just not sure how I'm showing 6500 used 'shared minutes'...its really getting me worried as this is a company phone.

Champers

Reaction score
Found it below

PDA/smartphone and BlackBerry® Plans: These VZEmail plans cannot be used: (1) for access to the Internet, intranets, or other data networks except as the device’s native applications and capabilities permit, unless you subscribe to Mobile Broadband Connect; or (2) for any applications that tether your device to laptops or personal computers other than for use of the Wireless Sync or the BlackBerry solution, unless you subscribe to Mobile Broadband Connect.

Written from a tethered laptop ;)

mcatdtDroid

Reaction score
of course, there is no plan for Droid.

according to that, using ANY app beyond the bloatware they add to it stock, is breaking the contract.

Do you use Handcent instead of stock TMing?
What about google voice?
or google talk?

this is a debate going on since Droid was first introduced and yet, for some reason, noone has ever been dropped, noone has ever been charged extra.... People still apparetnly get butt-hurt over other people using their device to it's abilities.

OP
S

slickstreem

Reaction score
Gotchya...ok so how much you think I'm in for here..6000 overage minutes ..ahhhhhh

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
Gotchya...ok so how much you think I'm in for here..6000 overage minutes ..ahhhhhh

Have to look at your corporate contract and see what the 'per minute' fee is. Also you'll have to see what the charge (minutes) are being billed as (keeping in mind roaming charges can have added fees from the coverage provider). Though the better question is why you would do something with a 'company' phone anyway.

according to that, using ANY app beyond the bloatware they add to it stock, is breaking the contract.

What about google voice?
or google talk?

this is a debate going on since Droid was first introduced and yet, for some reason, noone has ever been dropped, noone has ever been charged extra.... People still apparetnly get butt-hurt over other people using their device to it's abilities.

Any legit app installed on the phone (i.e. from the market place) is covered under the wording of the contract. As for why people haven't been dropped, they (VZW and ATT) have just used it as a reason to end 'unlimited' data plans. They weren't to worried about it because of the speeds of 3G kept it at a minimum (i.e. you have to be retarded to think 3G speed is a legit 'home internet' alternative) but with the proposed speeds of 4G/LTE it would be a far more attractive alternative for more people.

Last edited:

mcatdtDroid

Reaction score

What about google voice?
or google talk?

Any legit app installed on the phone (i.e. from the market place) is covered under the wording. As for why people haven't been dropped, they (VZW and ATT) have just used it as a reason to end 'unlimited' data plans. They weren't to worried about it because of the speeds of 3G (i.e. you have to be retarded to think 3G is a legit 'home internet' alternative) but with the proposed speeds of 4G/LTE it would be a far more attractive alternative for more people.

and easytether and PDANet isn't a legit app? Why is it less legit than google voice/talk apps that are designed to use data instead of minutes, therefore, cutting your bill down by reducing the number of minutes and texts on your plan?

you seem to be talking out of both sides of your mouth. But feel free to continue to pay more all you want while you wait on VZW to bust me.

iTether
iCancelled home inet
iStream
iRip
iPlaymyWiionline

OP
S

slickstreem

Reaction score
Maybe you can clarify for me...are there roaming charges for the 3g network? I know there is roaming for cell phone usage but like I said before...I didn't use the phone for calling anyone...I just had it tethered.