Tether for my ipad

nolanandy

Reaction score
Dude, again its not up to par with Apples past releases. The fact that it doesn't have a camera is a JOKE! That has nothing to do with it being the first generation device, has nothing to do with the device being so new. It was to cut corners which isn't something Apple would have done in the past. The iPhone 4G is supposedly coming out with 2 cameras, so Apple must understand there is a need for it. Why release a thousand dollar device without a cheap camera? This device was not ready to be released, but Apple had to beat there competitors to market so they released it early.

Care to share what great apps are currently available?

and if Apple put in a cheap camera, then people would complain why put in a low quality camera?

Womp

Reaction score
And the MOST disappointing part is that it will ONLY charge through the OEM plug and cable. Yep, if you are on a Windows machine or a Mac older then a couple of years the device WILL NOT charge while it is syncing or attached to a PC.

I understand this is the first generation of the device and all, but by Apple standards this was not ready to be released.

Not true. If you plug it into a USB port and have the screen shut off and iPad locked, it will slowly charge through your PC/mac.

While the screen is on it will display 'not charging' but while the screen is off it will.

....Works on my 3 + year old Dell laptop anyhow. :)

stevo95

Reaction score
2 questions.

Firstly the root your droid page says it is only for 2.01, is there a decent guide for 2.1?

Secondly, is it possible to install a tethering app for the iPad without rooting your phone? I have found two tethering apps but both require their app on your laptop etc - they dont have an app for the iPad.

M

Matth3w

And the MOST disappointing part is that it will ONLY charge through the OEM plug and cable. Yep, if you are on a Windows machine or a Mac older then a couple of years the device WILL NOT charge while it is syncing or attached to a PC.

I understand this is the first generation of the device and all, but by Apple standards this was not ready to be released.

Not true. If you plug it into a USB port and have the screen shut off and iPad locked, it will slowly charge through your PC/mac.

While the screen is on it will display 'not charging' but while the screen is off it will.

....Works on my 3 + year old Dell laptop anyhow. :)
Yep, same thing here. Works on my desktop. Says "not charging" but if you leave it on there overnight, just like I would with a wall charger, it's fully charged in the morning.

Even if it didn't, it's a non-issue, because I only charge the thing once every few days. Hell I watched a 2.5 hour movie and surfed the internet for an hour, and it drained the battery 8%.

2 questions.

Firstly the root your droid page says it is only for 2.01, is there a decent guide for 2.1?

Secondly, is it possible to install a tethering app for the iPad without rooting your phone? I have found two tethering apps but both require their app on your laptop etc - they dont have an app for the iPad.
I don't write guides anymore because I'm not really into the Droid all that much, I only come to this forum when I get bored. So you'll have to search. As for tethering, I use a rooted Droid so I doubt it.

M

Matth3w

Playing SNES ROMs on my jailbroken iPad with my Wii remote. Awesome.

amrov

Reaction score
Bumping this thread ... I'm also looking for a solution to give my iPad mobile access. Jealous of daughter's Palm Pre, which now comes with a Mobile WiFi hotspot app., which works great with the iPad (even though the salesperson at the Apple store told my husband that the iPad wouldn't do WiFi with other cell phones...). I'm even willing to give rooting a try, but haven't found a guide for Android 2.1.

anyone... anyone...

By the way, I love the Droid AND love the Pad. Help me make them work together!

streetkid

Reaction score
Sounds like this basically comes down to the Apple OS being more polished than Android.... something we've all known since the Droids been out

dwagner88

Reaction score
Bumping this thread ... I'm also looking for a solution to give my iPad mobile access. Jealous of daughter's Palm Pre, which now comes with a Mobile WiFi hotspot app., which works great with the iPad (even though the salesperson at the Apple store told my husband that the iPad wouldn't do WiFi with other cell phones...). I'm even willing to give rooting a try, but haven't found a guide for Android 2.1.

anyone... anyone...

By the way, I love the Droid AND love the Pad. Help me make them work together!

Read the previous page, or go to the hacks section of the forum. You will find everything you need!

gruve

Reaction score
The iPad would be good if it was actually priced accordingly for what it can (or more like can't) do. It is basically an big Ipod touch and so you are basically paying $300 for 5 more inches of screen space.... is it worth that much? On top of that you can get a netbook that can do a lot more than what the ipad can for much cheaper. But apple overprices their products all the time so I guess I shouldn't be surprised. But if people have the money to spend on this luxury item than more power to them.

But I'm wondering for those of you that have already gotten an iPad or are thinking of getting one even considered or just know of all of the other tablets that are coming out later this year such as the HP slate, Notion Adam Ink, Lenovo U1, Microsoft Courier, ect.? And these other companies have been developing their tablets long before the iPad was announced. I have a feeling that a lot of you iPad lovers will start to realize how limited the iPad is when you see these other devices having basic features like a camera, removable SD memory, built in USB ports, HDMI, Flash, true multitasking, ect.
blah blah everyone always says the next product is going to be the (insert apple product) killer and it never is. I paid extra money to have it now, not wait for some phantom tablet that doesn't exist yet. And even when it does come out it will be behind for apps etc.
Any laptop made in the last 10 years is an "ipad killer" because it has more features.

ipad is a small niche market, those who buy it might find a reason to use it but for the majority of the population there is no reason to have one

Try not being a hater and talking about something you know nothing about.

The iPad was never designed to replace a laptop or a desktop. I've had the iPad since the day they came out, I agree with others, the performance puts the android to shame. My wife takes hers everywhere in her purse, tethers wifi from my droid. We have 2 iPads, Macbook pro, Mac Mini and the touch. I've always been a PC person, still use my 1.5 yr old HP laptop... I am moving away from all windows products, tired of defragging, crashing, slow response time, adaware scanning to try to improve performance. I won't say anything bad about the android O/S since it's fairly new and will have bugs regardless, Apple makes quality longevity products.

tareq

Reaction score
I am so sick of people saying the ipad is stupid! It is an awesome machine, pretty and fun but in the same time usless! "The iPad was never designed to replace a laptop or a desktop" "We have 2 iPads, Macbook pro, Mac Mini and the touch" WOW I dont understand why the hell you need the ipad? an extra 500$!!!! I will never ever pay a 500$ for it if I have an laptop! what is the point? apple sold a million copy the first 28 days! 500X1000000=500000000 just OH MY GOD Americans! can you imagine how many people you could have help? people didn't donate half this to Haiti. I rather give my money to poor family (if i had any) rather than buy somehting I already have. really? do you need an droid, mac pro and ipad + ipod maybe (to listen to music) you people are joke. shame on you.

jcolt

Reaction score
iPad tether problem

I am running 2.2 rooted jrummy kangerade with 800 kernel that came with the rom. I have wifi tether installed and it works no problem tethered to my nrtbook. However just received an iPad as a gift and would like to tether vs sign up for att. The first time I tethered it worked, but then never again. Sometimes it connects and will load one page and then it wont load anymore. some times never connects at all. Is there some special setting I need to do? I have removed and reinstalled the app, changed kernels and stillnno luck. Any ideas??