Telescoping antenna design for the Droid X

xmguy

Reaction score
Telescoping antenna design for the Droid X (CUSTOM RIG)

I was fed up with the poor FM Reception of the Droid X. So knowing that the X uses the ground for the antenna devised a way to attach a telescoping antenna to the Droid X (soon) This GREATLY improved my FM radio signal. I simply passed the audio to the speaker and Viola! Better FM radio. See demo pic below. My plan is to buy a LONG Telescoping antenna and get a case of some sort to mount this to so I don't damage the X. Then when I want FM Radio. Put the case with antenna on attach the wire antenna cable and off I go.

SEE COMPLETED RIG

1291925506716.jpg

Last edited:
OP
xmguy

xmguy

Reaction score
Parts list.

This is a simple but time consuming build.

I've bought a special antenna that (when closed) is not much longer (maybe 1") then the phone.
LINK /\
XMOD Replacement Telescoping Antenna for RC Transmitter - eBay (item 160401471242 end time Dec-31-10 14:04:28 PST)

A BACK only HARD case. Also Silicone cases will NOT work.
LINK /\
http://cgi.ebay.com/Hard-Back-Cover...438860?pt=PDA_Accessories&hash=item19c1f8034c

3M Acrylic Foam double sided Automotive tape. Used to adhere the antenna to the case. Since this is 2 sided one could use a plastic sheet or just add electrical tape to cover the ugly 3m tape.
LINK /\
3M 6384 - 3M Automotive Acrylic Plus Attachment Tape, 45Mil - 1/2" X 5 Yds - Single Roll

STEREO headphone cable with real metal ground wires. NOT the small wire braided coating. I can post pics if needed.
LINK /\
Audio Cable - Stereo Y Cable 3FT

Now MOST of these parts can also be bought locally. But I linked them online for easy reference too.

You also need Electrical tape and a sharp knife.

This may not look pretty. But I tested using a antenna with a 28" length I was able to pull in WELL up to 75+ miles away. VS only 15 miles with headphones. Note this DOES NOT allow for personal headphones in this build but it can be added with a simple mod.

Last edited:
OP
xmguy

xmguy

Reaction score
Steps to install.

1; Make sure all parts are present. Case, Antenna, 3M Tape and a cover or tape to put over the antenna once mounted.

2: find a spot on the case side (where charging port is) or on back to the RIGHT of the camera.

3; Since the case and phone have the "hump" on them mounting on the back is a bit more tricky but easier than on the side with the limited space.

4; Put a small piece of the 3M tape on the back of the case at the top and bottom for now only. Or if mounting on the side put a VERY small amount of 3M tape along the side. Making sure ONLY to put tape on the bottom portion of the case so the phone can be removed when antenna rig isn't in use.

5: if using the back of the phone. Either build up tape layers or (since this is a case) find something like foam that you can adhere the tape to and to the case.

6; For both methods. position the antenna EXACTLY where you want it. This tape is EXTREMLY strong. Press antenna into tape leaving the bottom end flush with the phone.

7: Now strip back a part of the wire for BOTH left and right wires for the headphones. I found using a 3/8" to RCA cable worked best as these were able to be accessed easier. Make sure atleast 8-12" of wire are left to run to headphone jack.

8: Expose the ground wires on BOTH wires or one in some configurations. CUT off the red and white(or black) wires UNLESS you want to add an headphone jack add on. If that is the case read step A1 . Now using electrical tape COVER the ends of the audio leads (red and white) so they do not touch and short out.

9; Run the ground wire to the top of the antenna attached to the case. Leave about 1" of ground wire exposed.

10; Using the 3M tape put a piece over the top of the antenna with the wire attached.

11; Make sure antenna is secure. Whether mounting on side or back.

12; Use electrical tape or another plastic material to cover the back. Using one piece will revel the best look.

13; Plug headphone cable into phone. Turn on FM Radio app raise antenna and set to the Loudspeaker. Enjoy FAR FM stations with ease.

A1; To add headphone function. Simply buy a 3.5mm headphone jack end with wire to the red and white headphone wires. Make sure to tie in ground to antenna and to headphones. OR during initial install get a headphone jack splitter. Use one end for the radio antenna ground and the other for the headphones.

REMEMBER to place calls or listen to other music headphone jack wire MUST be removed. *Unless Splitter is used.

I will post pictures soon detailing each step as well as final result.

Like I said this isn't the nicest to look at but it serves it's purpose well.

NOTE: I'm not responsible for ANY damage done to your phone. BUT if followed exactly NOTHING will happen to the phone.

Last edited:

scf

Reaction score
If you want to use headphones too, you could probably pick up a headphone jack splitter.

OP
xmguy

xmguy

Reaction score
If you want to use headphones too, you could probably pick up a headphone jack splitter.

Hey VERY good idea. That would work very well. I will add that to my mod/how to. Thanks!

Sent from XMGUY's Droid X.