Droid X Antenna

Xenonram

Reaction score
The droid actually doesn't have an external antenna adaptor. the battery case is actually made of metal and there is actually a gold plated connector that makes contact with the top left locking tab on the batt door, an also I think the large stainless steel piece on the bottom of the door also makes contact with something on the phone. So in essence, the battery door is the antenna. To get maximum reception, hhole the phone by the sides while talking on it, to avoid touching the door itself.

P.S. Even the top three locking tabs on the door look like they make contact with some sort of gold plated contacts.

P.S.S. That is the whole reason that the battery door is metal and the rest of the rear of the case is plastic.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

xliderider

Reaction score
Are you sure the back of the phone is plastic? I always thought the back was metal coated in that rubberized material.

I'm not really worried about how I hold my phone because I use a TPU case.

mwshows

Reaction score
I'm not convinced this is accurate. I use a Trident case for my DX, with the extended battery. The battery cover has to be left off so fits correctly. My reception has not been affected in the slightest. If that's the case, can the battery cover be the antenna?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

wb1960

Reaction score
I also use an extended battery without the battery cover on and never had a reception issue

bigdog9586

Reaction score
On the droid2 the antenna is a gold plated stick on that is stuck to the speaker housing. Same as org droid

Technoman

Reaction score
The Droid X has 2 internal antenna inside. I don't know where the idea would come from that the battery door is acting as the antenna.

xliderider

Reaction score
On the droid2 the antenna is a gold plated stick on that is stuck to the speaker housing. Same as org droid

Sorry, but the antenna in the original Droid, is in the "chin" area below the screen. The Motorola engineers had to put it there because the antenna would've been totally enclosed in a metal case (Faraday effect).

mwshows

Reaction score
The Droid X has 2 internal antenna inside. I don't know where the idea would come from that the battery door is acting as the antenna.

Lots of bad information out there, especially on some other forums. This was actually my first reply on this one (i'm a forum newbie). I constantly read posts here because there is such an abundance of useful tips and fixes that make owning this phone a true delight. I'm happy I finally broke the ice and plan on posting more and more.

Technoman

Reaction score

Lots of bad information out there, especially on some other forums. This was actually my first reply on this one (i'm a forum newbie). I constantly read posts here because there is such an abundance of useful tips and fixes that make owning this phone a true delight. I'm happy I finally broke the ice and plan on posting more and more.

I understand... there is too many posts where people swear to something, and they have no reason why they know what they are swearing to know.

Enjoy the forum... lots of good people here.

mwshows

Reaction score
so anyway to increase reception?

Not that I know of. I have never noticed a considerable difference in reception based on how I physically hold the phone or anything else. I live out in the sticks, got really lucky recently when Verizon put up a new tower, so now I get quality reception pretty much anywhere locally.

dweezle

Reaction score
I know that this is an old thread but maybe my issue can further muddy the waters. I have a Droid X and the GPS function is wonky. The GPS will only receive sat information if the battery door is off. The moment I replace the door, the satellites all drop off. I can watch this happen in real time with GPS Status and Mike Lockwood's GPS Test. Both are Market apps.