TBolt Root - Dumb question, but I'll ask...

slider112

Reaction score
Hi all,
This is probably a dumb question, but I'll go ahead and throw it out there:

I have a rooted D1 running Froyo 2.2 through the latest Sapphire ROM, default kernel overclocked to 1 ghz. I'm not really a big ROM switcher and have been very happy with the Sapphire build. What I do like to do, however, is tinker with things in the framework. I've made a bunch of tweaks to the framework file using Ninjamorph/Metamporph, replacing notification icons, button hilite colors, notification pulldown backgrounds, that type of thing. I've changed system fonts, replaced the stock dialer with the GB dialer, and edited and applied a bunch of transparent apps/widgets. Nothing heavy, but I like to quickly change the look of things using these methods. This is essentially the extent of my noodling around with my rooted D1.

I have an early upgrade discount ready and waiting and was entertaining the idea of grabbing the Thunderbolt. If I were to do that though I'd want the transition to be pretty seamless. My question is this; and please pardon my ignorance on this subject, I just don't keep up with the TBolt threads as much as the D1 threads around here :D

Has the Thunderbolt been as "fully rooted" to the same extent as the D1? Is it as wide open as the D1? Nothing locked, nothing needing to be worked around, i.e. - DX and D2? I guess what I'm asking is once it's rooted, can I do everything with the TBolt that I currently do with my D1? Clockworkmod the same? Clearing Dalvik cache? Again, basic stuff I know, just want to know these things going in. From what I've been able to gather the TBolt is in fact just as wide open as the D1, and for that matter the DINC and even the Eris. So I'm pretty sure the answer to all these things is "yes", but before I go taking the plunge i want to be sure that things will operate the way I'm used to on my D1.

Any info would be great, thanks in advance!

Last edited:

Beardface

Reaction score
Hi all,
Has the Thunderbolt been as "fully rooted" to the same extent as the D1? Is it as wide open as the D1? Nothing locked, nothing needing to be worked around, i.e. - DX and D2? I guess what I'm asking is once it's rooted, can I do everything with the TBolt that I currently do with my D1? Clockworkmod the same? Clearing Dalvik cache? Again, basic stuff I know, just want to know these things going in. From what I've been able to gather the TBolt is in fact just as wide open as the D1, and for that matter the DINC and even the Eris. So I'm pretty sure the answer to all these things is "yes", but before I go taking the plunge i want to be sure that things will operate the way I'm used to on my D1.

Yes, it is fully rooted. You can flash new ROMs, which include updated and new kernels. The latter is something you will likely never see again from Moto phones. In this regard, the Bolt is the most like the D1 of any phone likely to ever hit the shelves again.

I haven't rooted, so I cannot speak about CWmod. Not sure if the same is with the TBolt, but I do know whatever it is acts extremely similar to it.

OP
slider112

slider112

Reaction score
Hi all,

Yes, it is fully rooted. You can flash new ROMs, which include updated and new kernels. The latter is something you will likely never see again from Moto phones. In this regard, the Bolt is the most like the D1 of any phone likely to ever hit the shelves again.

I haven't rooted, so I cannot speak about CWmod. Not sure if the same is with the TBolt, but I do know whatever it is acts extremely similar to it.

Thanks for the reply beardface, I appreciate it. This is along the lines of what I was thinking, and hence why the TBolt is that much more appealing to me. The Bionic/Targa is also appealing, whenever it is released, and quite frankly I've been going back and forth on the two like many others... however if chances are good that the bootloader will be locked, and all signs point that way, that's a definite drawback. If I can essentially do everything to the Thunderbolt that I now do with my D1 I'll be a happy guy. Guess I have a date with a Verizon store to check this baby out. :D

One other question: I'm eligible for the yearly upgrade discount right now, with my NE2 coming in at the beginning of November. Does anyone know how much more of a discount one gets on a newly released phone at the NE2 time? I cannot imagine that the latest/greatest phone would be free, and I can see a scenario where this yearly upgrade discount isn't too far off of the "discount" I'd get on the latest phone (Bionic or other) in November. Just curious if pulling the trigger now wouldn't be that much different than waiting it out till Nov...

As always, thanks in advance.