taskkiller

dstressman

Reaction score
I picked up my moto droid at the Verizon store and the rep installed task killer , i have know idea how to find it or how it works,,,,,or if i really need it. i am a total dummy when it comes to how the programs work ,,,the phone is definitely smarter than me

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
You don't need it. It's a resource hog and totally unnecessary. Just uninstall it. Those Verizon Reps really have a lot of nerve putting apps on your phone without explaining to you what they are and how they work.

OP
D

dstressman

Reaction score
if ya get time could you tell me how to find it so i can get rid of it ?
thanks dave

miner

Reaction score
The reps also put task killer on my Droid. I was told that if I do not use it, I will have no way to shut down apps and the battery will drain faster. Any truth? Why does it show apps running if I haven't used them? Thanks for your help.

Greg

SGTiger

Reaction score
Task killers/managers are not exactly the satan that some posters make them out to be. For example, you may leave an app running in memory using the GPS which is draining the battery. You see the GPS is currently on. If you're not sure whether its Maverick, Oruxmaps, My Tracks, Endomondo, Google Maps, etc... then you can bring up your taskkiller and quickly find out who is doing the damage. I surely don't want to wait until the app shows up in the "apps using the most battery" list.

I read recently a very frequently posting poster say they reboot their phone daily to make it run better, yet he/she calls task killers useless. Why do you think that rebooting makes their phone run better?

The O/S for the most part takes care of removing background apps when memory gets low *and* background apps *USUALLY* only take up a small percentage of cpu as a whole. However it doesn't explain why users' phones run better after a reboot. And, if you leave the app running the GPS in the background, well....

I just hate generalized comments to the new users that task killers are completely useless.

Last edited:

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
if ya get time could you tell me how to find it so i can get rid of it ?
thanks dave

Well, there are a couple of ways:

A) Menu
B) Settings
C) Applications
D) Manage Applications
E) Select Application
F) Press "Uninstall"

The other method is:

A) Market
B) Menu
C) Downloads
D) Select Application
E) Press "Uninstall"

One comment about uninstalling an app. If it's a paid app, if you uninstall it within 24 hours of the purchase, you'll get a refund. That refund only happens the first time; if you decide to re-install it you won't be able to get a refund.

djlowery

Reaction score
I've found that running task killer really does save my battery time. I have it set to auto kill but every time I go to put my phone in standby I open task killer and just click kill apps. I have it on my home screen so I see it all the time.

Reaction score
I've found that running task killer really does save my battery time. I have it set to auto kill but every time I go to put my phone in standby I open task killer and just click kill apps. I have it on my home screen so I see it all the time.

Yeah me too, I get 20 hours before shut down and that's hard usage.
I have mine setup with 'when screen off' and it does seem to work well.
I'm always amazed how many apps are open and I don't remember starting them.