TasKiller = battery killer?

thecrunkness

Reaction score
Ok, maybe exagerated a little but this something I've noticed. When used advanced task killer it doesn't show that it is using my battery but when I got TasKiller it shows up under my battery use! Granted it only uses 4% but still it seems that it didn't have the same effect with Advanced task killer. Has anyone else experienced the same thing or have any input?

OP
thecrunkness

thecrunkness

Reaction score

JCo352

Reaction score
Do you leave it running like in the task bar. Because when I kill my tasks I kill the task killer too.

OP
thecrunkness

thecrunkness

Reaction score
Do you leave it running like in the task bar. Because when I kill my tasks I kill the task killer too.

I do have it in the taskbar. how do you continue killing tasks if you kill the task killer? Do you just boot it back up again?

I was just wondering why Advanced task killer wont show up on battery use but Taskiller does

RLJSlick

Reaction score
You can always just load TK and kill task that way. That's the way I do it. I don't keep it running in my taskbar, though you can, I'm not sure if it will kill your battery or not. Don't forget to task kill Task Killer also if you take my approch.

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
You're not realizing that those programs you are closing aren't using any resources. They're sitting in memory and the OS will clean them up as needed. The task killer is defeating the purpose of cleaning things up because it uses resources AND when it shuts down stuff your droid often just opens it up again, which uses resources. Not to mention the problems the things cause. Don't use it!

JCo352

Reaction score
You're not realizing that those programs you are closing aren't using any resources. They're sitting in memory and the OS will clean them up as needed. The task killer is defeating the purpose of cleaning things up because it uses resources AND when it shuts down stuff your droid often just opens it up again, which uses resources. Not to mention the problems the things cause. Don't use it!

Some people prefer it, does it really bother you that some people want a task killer? I use it for when I'm using an app that has sound and when I close it I still hear sound, so I kill it.

OP
thecrunkness

thecrunkness

Reaction score

I don't kill anything that just restarts itself ( calendar, messaging, etc.) I use it to kill Maps, browser, games, thigns taht are just for fun to entertain me with when I'm bored.

OP
thecrunkness

thecrunkness

Reaction score
You can always just load TK and kill task that way. That's the way I do it. I don't keep it running in my taskbar, though you can, I'm not sure if it will kill your battery or not. Don't forget to task kill Task Killer also if you take my approch.

How do you go about killing the task killer? do you just go to settings and do it?

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score

There are actually only a few apps on my phone that use no resources while i'm multi-tasking, most still use battery and everything else to run them, esp games, if you can hear sounds while they are not on your home screen, welcome to it draining your battery. There are only a certain couple of apps that restart on their own, the majority of the ones you get from the marketplace DO NOT start back up automatically.

pyro6128

Reaction score
Yea all of the people who say you don't need a task killer only look at it from the memory point of view. Although when I have a lot of apps open I can clearly see a slowdown which clears up when I kill the tasks. But in regards to battery, you better believe that apps running in the background functioning are using your battery. Like everyone said, just exclude the apps that open themselves up and android uses. Then don't leave your task killer running all the time. Just use it when you need to. You'll notice a battery and performance increase.

dylanthecat

Reaction score
Not using a task killer gets my screen turned off faster, which is usually my biggest battery user.

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
Some people prefer it, does it really bother you that some people want a task killer? I use it for when I'm using an app that has sound and when I close it I still hear sound, so I kill it.

No, it doesn't effect me either way. I'm just trying to help.

Sounds like you're not using an automated task killer. I use astro's process viewer (manual task killer) from time to time. I don't think the AUTOMATED task killers are a good thing for most people to use. Ideally, they should trash any rogue app that they've installed that's using all their resources. But do what you want, ok?

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score

No, it doesn't effect me either way. I'm just trying to help.

Sounds like you're not using an automated task killer. I use astro's process viewer (manual task killer) from time to time. I don't think the AUTOMATED task killers are a good thing for most people to use. Ideally, they should trash any rogue app that they've installed that's using all their resources. But do what you want, ok?

I agree that using automated task killers could be potentially bad, but someone using something like ATK, and having one of the tasks killed be itself along with everything else you don't want (other then those that reopen anyways) is not a bad thing at all.