Task Killers... The Answer from Google & Developers.

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
Wifi uses less power than 3g so you want to leave it on. My battery dies faster if I shut it off.

I have no WiFi at home and any place that has "free" WiFi prevents me from doing anything more than checking email. With no WiFi available it'll be using 3G anyway even if I leave it on. As for power usage, a lot of that depends on signal strength. A good 3G signal will use less power than a poor WiFi signal and vice versa. Of course, with WiFi you should be finished quicker so the power savings using 3G instead would be moot.

When I have access to Wifi that requires a login, yeah, I'm all for it. To be honest, I probably wouldn't notice any extra battery drain if I left it on, but since I have no place to connect it to, I don't bother.

To keep this on topic I've deleted Advance Task Manager, although I do have System Panel if I have to kill any apps.

Last edited:

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
Wifi uses less power than 3g so you want to leave it on. My battery dies faster if I shut it off.

I have no WiFi at home and any place that has "free" WiFi prevents me from doing anything more than checking email. With no WiFi available it'll be using 3G anyway even if I leave it on. As for power usage, a lot of that depends on signal strength. A good 3G signal will use less power than a poor WiFi signal and vice versa.

When I have access to Wifi that requires a login, yeah, I'm all for it. To be honest, I probably wouldn't notice any extra battery drain if I left it on, but since I have no place to connect it to, I don't bother.

You're totally right. It depends on quite a few factors. I should have made it clear that leaving wifi on is just something people should try. It seems kind of counter-intuitive that leaving wifi on would end up using less power, but it is actually the case for many or most people.

pilot25

Reaction score
Task killers were great for widget killing. I don't need to run a news widget all day long but it is nice once in a while. Even the Google widget requires killing to turn off. GOOGLE WIDGET.... Contacting Devs to tell them their app is crap is like telling someone their driving sucks on the road by sticking up your finger. Doesn't work and is a futile attempt at making someone care what you think. Google needs to allow task killers to save batteries.

JohnnyDepth

Reaction score

I have no WiFi at home and any place that has "free" WiFi prevents me from doing anything more than checking email. With no WiFi available it'll be using 3G anyway even if I leave it on. As for power usage, a lot of that depends on signal strength. A good 3G signal will use less power than a poor WiFi signal and vice versa. Of course, with WiFi you should be finished quicker so the power savings using 3G instead would be moot.

To keep this on topic I've deleted Advance Task Manager, although I do have System Panel if I have to kill any apps.

AutoKiller also has the power to kill off any apps
that are actually running.

viper3773

Reaction score
so basically you only want to use a task manager when needed, and not all the time killing off every non open app?

OP
Martin030908

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
so basically you only want to use a task manager when needed, and not all the time killing off every non open app?
Yes.

"When needed" is what we can debate til we're all blue in the face.... :)

viper3773

Reaction score
and how do you go about disabling the autoruns of some of the apps you don't need to autorun?

JohnnyDepth

Reaction score
and how do you go about disabling the autoruns of some of the apps you don't need to autorun?

I honestly don't know.

When I first used "task killers" I would always see
(no matter what I did)

-Amazon mp3
-Corporate calendar
-Voice Dialer and a bunch of other apps just sitting there...

Now I went from BB v0.4 to LFY 1.4 (about to flash to 1.5) and
I don't have those issues anymore.

However I will say that for the most part you can take out apps
that the system doesn't actually need to run inside of system/app.

Right now for example I just disconnected from using my phone
to call someone via google voice....

ScreenShotService
NoLockService
SETCPU
FancyWidget
Gtalk
TempMonitor
GenierRefreshService (I hate this one)
Multi-Touch Keyboard
Facebook (just popped in, then stopped)

Are the only things running right now.

The AutoKiller as I said previously fine tunes what get's killed
depending on the priority Android OS set it in the first place.

I use the Aggressive setting and never have an issue.
When I didn't use AutoKiller (and keep in mind I use many apps
services at once constantly) my memory would dip to about 30MB and lower....My phone would slow to a crawl.

AutoKiller just stops the BS and keeps the most important services
running and kills the ones that linger and don't need to be there.

Simple as that.

I should add that I don't get anything for endorsing the product:)
It simply works and allows my phone to operate at its maximum
efficiency. As it has been said Android OS does a good job on its own...

AutoKiller simply refines the management process!