Taliban's Google Play App pulled

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Taliban-app-removed-from-Google-store.jpg

Though this is Android related, I posted it in ot to drop it if this gets to crazy. But we do have a more mature community so I trust this won't get political to where we violate the rules.

With that said, Google pulled the Taliban's app because of hate speech.

Source: Taliban propaganda app removed from Google Play store

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Last edited:

CJM

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Twitter
https://twitter.com/Corey
I'm scratching my head on this one. I can't believe they allowed the app to be posted, but took it down for hate speeches? I just don't understand why they allowed it in the first place

Tapped from a Nexus 6

Efin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
So many things I want to write, but simply, I'm with CJM, and can't believe it was allowed in the first place, and won't be surprised if it's reinstated due to "reasons" undetermined...

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm scratching my head on this one. I can't believe they allowed the app to be posted, but took it down for hate speeches? I just don't understand why they allowed it in the first place

Tapped from a Nexus 6
Sometimes if you can't do something about a disease you have to go after the symptoms.
Unfortunately even the Tiban are protected by the first amendment.

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4
<><

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Freedom is a very slippery slope and shouldn't be taken for granted. If a religion is suddenly deemed not protected what's next? Though I agree it seems morally reprehensible to me it is one of those areas where even the bad guy has a say under the constitution, whether we like it or not. The first amendment is intentionally gray to allow society to decide right and wrong, thus what is considered "crying out fire in a crowded theatre" and punishable. This is why I used the analogy of disease vs symptoms. In the work place you can't necessarily terminate employment for being a drunkard or druggy but the disease of addiction has symptoms that are termination offenses and that's how you eliminate the problem legally.

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4
<><

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Sometimes if you can't do something about a disease you have to go after the symptoms.
Unfortunately even the Tiban are protected by the first amendment.

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4
<><

True. And either we are for freedom for all or freedom for none. It is like a soldier said to me, "I fight for the freedoms of both those looking to bring our nation together and those looking to divide (ie bigots, racists, etc)."

As much as I would hate to be kicked out of a diner because of my race technically a person that own their own business should have the rights to refuse service to any one they want. And I will then have the freedom to discuss my opinion of said business via every means available.

Now if that business receive government funding then it should comply with government regulations.

With that said this is where I agree with Google. Though people should have the freedom of speech, if such freedom could result in the further taking of innocent lives then that is where the company has the duty to intervene. Given the violent nature and recruitment tactics of the Taliban, allowing such an app would be irresponsible of Google.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
With that said this is where I agree with Google. Though people should have the freedom of speech, if such freedom could result in the further taking of innocent lives then that is where the company has the duty to intervene.

That's the "crying fire in a crowded theatre" comes into play and has always been a basis blocking speech. A safety issue trumps speech at every level of the judicial system and hopefully always will. Though Google is using the term "hate speech" the legal precedent is public safety and if they do like Aljazera did and try to force their way back it'll be public safety because of hate speech, where AJ hasn't crossed the line yet, that will keep it pulled.

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4
<><