T9 Texting

xRITE AIDEx

Reaction score
I have wanted T9 since I got my droid(jan) and I'm used to the full keyboard and even the stock message app but I perfer T9 over both because I know I can be faster.

It makes me upset knowing that when you buy apps it switched to T9 but I cant get that as an app? like Really? :icon_evil:

brando56894

Reaction score
IMO I think it's kind of dumb to get T9 when you have three keyboards available to you (physical, soft landscape and soft portrait). I think the portrait soft keyboard would be the best to use for one handed texting, but it will take some getting used to. Instead of going back to an old, deprecated standard take the time to get used to the full keyboard, you'll thank your self later!

I came from a phone that had a full keyboard (samsung alias) so I was used to the qwerty layout on a cellphone and now I almost exclusively use the soft keyboard in landscape mode and I can type ridiculously fast with it. I recently converted one of my friends who had a droid and said he never used the soft keyboard and loved the physical, I told him to give it a try and he was like "dude this is amazing!!".

I could never go back to a number pad for texting, after having a full keyboard for over 2 years I tried to send a text from my mom's old "dumb" phone and found that it took me like 5 minutes to type out like 2 sentences, in that time I could write a full paragraph with my droid lol.

LilJayV10

Reaction score
I was reading on the update for 2.1 on verizon's web page it said the Driod has T9.

lterry913

Reaction score
shape writer is free in market...and is good for thumb texting...slide it is similar but is a paid app...swype is best but it is a beta version and not able to give download info on forum...i suggest you watch text entry methods on you tube. this can be very helpful

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
Ok I dont want to buy better keyboard. i shouldnt have to spend money to use t9 or phonepad texting, got the phone on release date and I thought id be used to the full keyboard by now...im not. Ideas?

Why not? I don't use T9 for anything. Why should I have to pay a price for you to use your preferred input method in the form of an integrated application that I don't use?

The point, of course, is that there are innumerable applications that someone somewhere believes are essential for their phone. The whole point of the Android platform is that one gets to pick and choose a significant portion of the applications that use up space and cpu cycles on your phone.