T-Mobile w/ FREE Motorola Droid (aka Milestone, GSM) NEED INFORMED HELP!

ctbear

Reaction score
Since it's time for a new phone, I found a t-mobile dealer in my area that's willing to give me a nicely priced family plan with a FREE GSM version of the Motorola Droid...aka Milestone along with 2 more new phones (all FREE). Free activation and everything included with 2 Years contract. All I need is to be able to 1) call 2) text (extra $5/$10 plan?) 3) WIFI.

However, as with any smart phone, I will need to pay $29.99 for a data plan. Since I am in college and 99.9% of the time I have free WIFI, I don't want to waste the extra $30 on a data plan when I can do everything via WIFI. (I am a very poor college student!) The dealer claims that I can actually cancel the data plan after the first 4 months of use, and this will be stated in the actual contract.

If the above is true, will the Milestone still be able to access/use free WIFI hotspots at my school and browse the internet (etc.) WITHOUT the data plan?

Another t-mobile store claims that this might not work because of a "service book" that would disable the wifi if it detects that I have no data plan. (He didn't sound too sure about what he was talking about, and it doesn't even make much sense if you ask me)

Lastly, will I be able to root/crack the Milestone for all the open source fun and shenanigans? Some forums claim that the Milestone isn't root-able, not sure. I'm looking at the possibility of overclocking the Milestone a little bit
cool.gif

Thanks and hopefully I will be joining the android community soon!
biggrin.gif

ps: I've searched many threads, and I have already heard opinions from those claiming that a smart phone without a data plan is a waste. Please refrain from repeating this to me as I am already aware of this. I just need to know if I can do the above.

EDIT: It has come to my attention that the Milestone does not support AWS, thus no 3G. However, it does support EDGE. So will the initial 4 months of data plan that I have to pay for still work? Or will I be paying for nothing?

Last edited:

xanzion

Reaction score
Yes. WiFi will work without a data plan. The "Service book" the dealer is talking about is a Blackberry only ordeal. He might have mixed up the fact that Droid aka "Milestone" is not a Blackberry ;)

As for the Milestone being rootable, I have no idea. But I WOULD NOT try a Droid ROM on the Milestone.

Peace

Last edited:
OP
C

ctbear

Reaction score
Yes. WiFi will work without a data plan. The "Service book" the dealer is talking about is a Blackberry only ordeal. He might have mixed up the fact that Droid aka "Milestone" is not a Blackberry ;)

As for the Milestone being rootable, I have no idea. But I WOULD NOT try a Droid ROM on the Milestone.

Peace

Thanks a lot for your info...yes I do recall the guy was standing next to some Blackberry's which he suggested to me earlier. More confirmations will surely make me feel better about making a final decision. Thanks!

OP
C

ctbear

Reaction score
It has also come to my attention that the Milestone does not support AWS, thus no 3G. However, it does support EDGE. So will the initial 4 months of data plan that I have to pay for still work? Or will I be paying for nothing?