SystemPanel a great app...now a question

snappingfish

Reaction score
Via SystemPanel, I see that I am using 76% of my memory, leaving about 55-56M available. The monitor ALSO shows that my SD Card is 97% free.
NOW....the Question: What can I move from phone memory to SD Card, and how can I move it.
I appreciate all the help I can get, so thanks in advance, but keep it simple, please. I'm tryin the best I can, but sometimes the techie-jabber eludes me. BTW, I deleted a few pics from the Gallery, but it didn't move the usage around much, so I'm thinking that there might be programs that will work from the SD card, or ???? (thats why I'm here, hoping someone can help!) Thanx again. fish

Last edited:

Mbk

Android For Life
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Via SystemPanel, I see that I am using 76% of my memory, leaving about 55-56M available. The monitor ALSO shows that my SD Card is 97% free. NOW....the Question: What can I move from phone memory to SD Card, and how can I move it. I appreciate all the help I can get, so thanks in advance, but keep it simple, please. I'm tryin the best I can, but sometimes the techie-jabber eludes me. BTW, I deleted a few pics from the Gallery, but it didn't move the usage around much, so I'm thinking that there might be programs that will work from the SD card, or ???? (thats why I'm here, hoping someone can help!) Thanx again. fish
If you're talking about creating something like a page file (virtual memory) on your SDCard, I doubt it. ....either that or you are mixing up memory with the phones internal storage....

JimmyD

Reaction score
the Question: What can I move from phone memory to SD Card, and how can I move it.

Unfortunately.... not much... until Android version 2.2 gets pushed out to our phones.....

OR.... you can root your phone and load the 2.2 OS yourself. Look for the many threads here on the subject of "Rooting".

OP
snappingfish

snappingfish

Reaction score
FIRST-We're talkin the SystemPanel app

If you're talking about creating something like a page file (virtual memory) on your SDCard, I doubt it. ....either that or you are mixing up memory with the phones internal storage....
When I open that app, go to 'monitor' it showscpu activity, network, MEMORY, and SD CARD. The memory meter shows that I have used 76% of memory, that I have 24% of memory left, which is equal to about 53.2 M. The next index is the SD Card, which shows that I am only using 3%, and that I have 97% free, which equates to 14659.4 M available. Thats as close as I can get to telling you about the question I asked. If its too tough to answer, then I will try to find out via the dev, or someone who is familiar with this app. Thanks for trying.

Mbk

Android For Life
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
the Question: What can I move from phone memory to SD Card, and how can I move it.

Unfortunately.... not much... until Android version 2.2 gets pushed out to our phones.....

OR.... you can root your phone and load the 2.2 OS yourself. Look for the many threads here on the subject of "Rooting".

So this was about the internal phone storage?...like having all the APKs installed on the SDCard instead? (which can be done with Apps2SD on Froyo)...or are you talking about the phone's RAM?

Mbk

Android For Life
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
When I open that app, go to 'monitor' it showscpu activity, network, MEMORY, and SD CARD. The memory meter shows that I have used 76% of memory, that I have 24% of memory left, which is equal to about 53.2 M. The next index is the SD Card, which shows that I am only using 3%, and that I have 97% free, which equates to 14659.4 M available. Thats as close as I can get to telling you about the question I asked. If its too tough to answer, then I will try to find out via the dev, or someone who is familiar with this app. Thanks for trying.
That's RAM... end some of your tasks and that availble amount will go up. Android is good at closing out unneeded apps but it doesn't hurt to close out apps manually when you'd like.

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
Via SystemPanel, I see that I am using 76% of my memory, leaving about 55-56M available. The monitor ALSO shows that my SD Card is 97% free.
NOW....the Question: What can I move from phone memory to SD Card, and how can I move it.
I appreciate all the help I can get, so thanks in advance, but keep it simple, please. I'm tryin the best I can, but sometimes the techie-jabber eludes me. BTW, I deleted a few pics from the Gallery, but it didn't move the usage around much, so I'm thinking that there might be programs that will work from the SD card, or ???? (thats why I'm here, hoping someone can help!) Thanx again. fish

You're out of luck at the moment. And it's not clear there would be any advantage to moving programs to the SD card, at least not the programs you have.

Since you have System Panel, check its "Help." As the developer notes, there is no real advantage to having a lot of "empty" memory, either from a performance or from a battery standpoint. And if you're showing 50+ megs available, you have plenty of available memory.

With 2.2 (Froyo) developers will be able to write apps (or recode existing apps) to run from the SD Card. That's a big advantage for very large applications that have keep track of massive amounts of data simultaneously. But keep in mind a couple of things. First, the developer has to enable an app to be moved to the SD card. It cannot be done unilaterally by a user. And more important, running from the SD card is typically slower than from internal memory due to what's termed "latency," the time it takes to access the card.

P.S. One advantage of the iPhone compared to Android devices is that the entire storage on the phone is, in effect, available memory. It's a different architecture and operating system philosophy that has advantages and disadvantages. One of the advantages is that graphically intensive video games are easier to write (and usually look better) for the iPhone.

Last edited:

LifeIsABeach

Reaction score
As JimmyD mentioned on a stock Droid you can't move much of anything from internal memory to the SD card. If you wait for the official 2.2 or install it now it allows you to install apps on your SD card rather than internal memory. Also, if you root you can remove some of the stock apps which came with the phone that you may not use. That will save space as well.

OP
snappingfish

snappingfish

Reaction score
nope! not me! lol

Hey, cain't y'all see that i am NOT heavily techie inclined? I sit an chuckle at folks that are NEAR to having the skill and knowledge fighting every step of the way to get rooted, and running without something or another giving them fits.

I'm TOTALLY satisfied with the 2.1 and all of its attributes, and I am also anxiously awaiting the release of (Froyo) 2.2. But I have enough difficulty doing things like getting knowledge on how to use more SD Card and less memory. thanks for the suggestion, though!

OP
snappingfish

snappingfish

Reaction score
just a thought

So this was about the internal phone storage?...like having all the APKs installed on the SDCard instead? (which can be done with Apps2SD on Froyo)...or are you talking about the phone's RAM?

I have a lot of music - never mind....I had already moved it to the SD Card. So, from what I'm reading, I think it would be most prudent to wait for 2.2

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
That's RAM... end some of your tasks and that availble amount will go up. Android is good at closing out unneeded apps but it doesn't hurt to close out apps manually when you'd like.

Uh, yes. There is. Depending on the app, closing an app manually can leave all kinds of crap lying around that eventually clogs up your phone.

Mbk

Android For Life
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score

Hey, cain't y'all see that i am NOT heavily techie inclined? I sit an chuckle at folks that are NEAR to having the skill and knowledge fighting every step of the way to get rooted, and running without something or another giving them fits.

I'm TOTALLY satisfied with the 2.1 and all of its attributes, and I am also anxiously awaiting the release of (Froyo) 2.2. But I have enough difficulty doing things like getting knowledge on how to use more SD Card and less memory. thanks for the suggestion, though!
HaHaHa... you're more techsavy than you realize...lol .... even if you were to be able to install apps onto your SDCard with Froyo 2.2, you'd still use the phones RAM (memory) when the apps open or are launched but not used..

Mbk

Android For Life
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score

Uh, yes. There is. Depending on the app, closing an app manually can leave all kinds of crap lying around that eventually clogs up your phone.
Well here's what I've seen... and this isn't from just what others have said... when I've used my Droid heavily for a bit, it gets slightly hot, and ending unused apps via System Panel; immediately impacts the temps... which is a good thing for performance..no?

danh63

Reaction score
Is there a way to access the sd card to move pictures and things there?