System Update Fails

scm68gt

Reaction score
When I try to update to 2.3.340.en.US, the phone downloads the update, reboots and then announces that the update failed. I have rooted to phone, but other than that, it is 'stock'.

Any idea what is happening? And how to fix it?

Thanks....

maderschramm

Reaction score
you probably changed something. either build.prop or a framework perhaps?
if not, then unrooting should resolve the issue - if it doesn't restore a previous backup
if it still fails, you need to sbf

dnynumba1

Reaction score
Same problem as OP

System update repeatedly fails. I've rooted my phone, and I did remove a lot of bloatware. At first, stupidly, by deleting, later by changing .apk's to .bak's.

First I tried updating straight, no luck.

Tried unrooting, (using http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-x-hacks/107591-re-root-your-droid-x-after-update.html), then updating, no luck.

Re-rooted, found backups for the bloats I had deleted, and renamed all .bak's to original .apk's. Then unrooted again and tried updating again. No luck.

I'm just plain having no luck.

maderschramm

Reaction score
Does anyone think using the process shown at How-To | iWinDroid

will do the trick?

Maybe? I think that's just for if you don't see the update.
I looked into the different files, etc., and saw patches for all the bloat...so you might brick...might not. I dunno, what I would do is use the .320 sbf file, which I know works. You could try the update.zip and if it bricks you you could then use the .320 full sbf to get you back up and running.

OP
S

scm68gt

Reaction score
OK. Thanks. I did 'unbloat' a bit - but I didn't delete the files. I just renamed them. I'll try putting them back and see what happens.

OP
S

scm68gt

Reaction score
OK. I 'rebloated' and reran the update and it worked just fine, thank you. But I do have to re-root. Amazing that you have to have the unimportant crap on your phone in order to do a system update. Go figure.

OP
S

scm68gt

Reaction score
Cannot root

Well, now - no matter what I try - I cannot root. I have tried z4root, DoRootWin and even the 'no pc required'. Nada. Using adb, everytime the RATC exploit runs, the pc connection is lost. I have tried switching the USB debugging on and off and unplugging the USB cable and plugging it back in. To no avail. Any ideas?

jdog94

Reaction score
i keep getting update failed not sure what to do next

JRobzilla

Reaction score
Well, now - no matter what I try - I cannot root. I have tried z4root, DoRootWin and even the 'no pc required'. Nada. Using adb, everytime the RATC exploit runs, the pc connection is lost. I have tried switching the USB debugging on and off and unplugging the USB cable and plugging it back in. To no avail. Any ideas?

Which version of z4root did you try? I have no luck with 1.30 on this phone but 1.0 works like a charm.

Edit: See you got it rooted, awesome!

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

OP
S

scm68gt

Reaction score
I tried z4root 1.3.0.

Now I have to figure out how to make this so it isn't such a P.I.T.B. for the next update.

PCRoger

Reaction score