sync Facebook contacts

igasp4air

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
driod turbo
thank you! lol. Thank you. At least now I can stop trying.

sst45jeff

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
I really hope no one here bought into that whole "Facebook Messenger has evil permissions" hype. Aren't we mostly nerds that know better?
FB Mess has the exact same.e permissions as FB. It can do video chats make phone calls. Replace your SMS program. FB made it separate because its not just for FB anymore.

And you sstjeff. Really? You wish you bought a different phone...because FB contact synch doesn't work?

Anyway...I don't synch contacts from FB but I'll try in the interest of helping...

Peredroid- I never said that I wished I had bought a diffrent phone due to Facebook not syncing. That was igasp4air.
I love my Turbo.

igasp4air

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
driod turbo
View attachment 73441

These are the settings under the messenger app. It appears that FB has moved the contact syncing to their messenger app only. That's the best I can find, so if that's not working, then I have no clue!!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
I could not get messenger to do it either.

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
My bad Jeff.

Moto did not disable FB contact synching. That's crazy talk.

When I go to FB Messenger it looks like synch is there but it looks like it wants to synch 2 way. All my contacts to Messenger. Which makes sense because M wants to be your everything Messenger app.
iGasp, what do you mean you can't synch any contacts?

BTW I can't believe how great DF runs on my Turbo. ;)

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
Since Facebook contacts cannot be exported from the device, the appearance of integration created a false sense of data portability. Facebook contact data will continue to appear within the Facebook app. Like all developers on Android, Facebook is free to use the Android contacts API to truly integrate contacts on the device, which would allow users to have more control over their data. We are removing the special-case handling of Facebook contacts on Nexus S and future lead devices.

TechCrunch's coverage on this: Google Renews Battle Over Facebook Contacts Removes Phone Directory Sync On Nexus S TechCrunch

bfranker

Reaction score
Has anyone at all figured this out? I just got my droid turbo and nothing I do for syncing works. I had an s4 before and it automatically synced my contacts from FB and skype with my phone contacts. This is incredibly annoying and I wish I'd went with the s5! I have indeed checked every box for syncing for both apps that I can find. I have clicked sync in the apps management place in setting for the phone. Nothing. Not one. I'm not interested in sync me. HELP? :()

I gave up long ago trying to do this like I did with my older phone. It just doesn't work without a 3rd party app or at least it didn't a couple months ago. I decided to use SyncMe and it works very good for me. I like the app and your phone has tons of storage so I'd recommend giving it a try :)

igasp4air

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
driod turbo
Thanks for all the good replys..oh phooie. I have tried several 3rd party apps. syncme transfered 2 contacts from facebook and none from skype and none from google. It's really hard to believe that it won't even import google contacts.I really loved this feature on my s4. All contacts from FB and Skype were migrated INTO my phone contacts with the s4. I do love my droid but it sucks to have to manually input over 300 contacts. And now I find it doesn't even have a native music player. Sheesh. I got spoiled with my samsung gs4. indeed.

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
Google Contacts synch perfectly. What problem are you having there???

igasp4air

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
driod turbo
Google Contacts synch perfectly. What problem are you having there???
unclear. I still have not gotten the phone to sync any contacts from anywhere including google. Droid turbo. Really confusing. In my device manager in google account it says my last sync was to my old phone dec 12...then I was hit by a death wave and lost that phone..(and almost my head) Googles recognizes my device..it is active..it can find it..but it will not sync. I would prefer it to sync to skype anyhow but that seems impossible. I've checked all the basics...wifi connection mobile data settings ect...just weird.

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
OK...something is seriously wonky with your phone. At this point, since you haven't had it long, I'm going to recommend a flat out Factory Reset.
Google Contacts should synch as soon as the phone asks: do you have a Google account? And login. Nothing else should need to be done. That's why we live these phones.
And Skype fukky supports address book merge into Android according to this:
How do I manage my contacts in Skype for Android phones

jplemt

Reaction score
I've used Ubersync for Facebook. It lets you sync all contacts, just the ones in your phone, or just the Facebook contacts. You can also choose when it syncs, how large of photos it downloaded and over WiFi or cellular data. It seems good so far.