Symantec Issues Warning About Another Android Malware

danDroid

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
walktextpirate-300x137.png

There is an application in the Android Market called “Walk & Text” it was an innovative idea where it would put up a view of your Android devices rear facing camera so that you could see it and text at the same time, allowing you to see what’s in front of you.According to Symantec, that Walk & Text app was pirated, turned into malware and submitted to several file sharing sites in North America and Asia.

Continue Reading @ TheDroidGuy.com

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
Again, coming from unknown sources......Use common sense people....

joshoid

Reaction score
The funny thing is that was one of my first apps. Or maybe by a different name but same deal. Type and text.

droydhead

Reaction score
Should it even be considered malware? Does the app list its permissions before install or does it run some kind of root exploit? If the user gives the app permission to access texts than I dont think it should be considered malware. Its working as intended. That's what you get for pirating apps that cost less than a cup of coffee..

Preach2k

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hometown Brooklyn, NY Now Fuquay Varina, NC
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel XL/Galaxy Note 8
Twitter
DroidNCState
Maybe if that app was not a virus and worked maybe this would not of happened to this lady!!!:rofl3:

[video=youtube;fgV1WLPcQhY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgV1WLPcQhY]YouTube - WinVideoful - Look out for the fountain ![/video]

dafischman

Reaction score
so let me get this straight. The original program is good. Someone pirated it and then put malware in it and hosted it on several file sharing sites? So if it was downloaded from the market it would be fine, only versions downloaded from file sharing sites would be bad? Seems like people need to use their brains and download apps from the official market instead of pirating them from file sharing sites!

Josh

91jolson

Reaction score
I don't see the problem with this, PC game developers need to do this to cut down on the piracy in that arena.

ahC_hED

Reaction score
Probably the dev put the "mal" code in it to go at the ones that pirated the app.

Sent from my DROID2 of shame.

dafischman

Reaction score
Has anyone else actually seen what this app does!!! LOL, it's #winning!

A fake version of Walk and Text has been sent out to a variety of illegal apps sites looking exactly like the original you’ll find in the actual market. That is until you open it of course. Upon launching the app for the first time, it acts a lot like one normally would with a “processing” screen, except that processing screen is just a placeholder while the app accesses your name, phone number, IMEI information, etc. and sends it out to an external server. That’s not all though!
During this stage, it also accesses your entire contact list, sending out texts to each person with the note you are seeing above and on the left:
Hey,just downloaded a pirated App off the Internet, Walkd and Text for Android. Im stupid and cheap,it costed only 1 buck.Don’t steal like I did!
Once it finishes that piece of the fun, the app then prompts you with the screen you are seeing on the right:
Application Not Licensed
We really hope you learned something from this. Check your phone bill;) Oh and dont forget to buy the App from the Market

Referenced from Droid Life

adsfa34

Reaction score
So, um, the lesson here is always install apps from trusted sources, right?

and to actually READ the very obvious warning that you have to click "ok" on when you enable app installs from non-market sources. it says very plainly "your phone and personal data are more vulnerable to attack by applications from unknown sources."