Swype themes

mikehal38

Reaction score
I've been searching around and can't seem to find out how to theme swype on a droid x. Do I need the swype beta or is there a way to theme the built in swype?

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

Reaction score
I'm curious as well as that I didn't even know themes could be applied to swype!

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

OP
M

mikehal38

Reaction score
I found an old link with some swype themes and tried applying them in recovery but it failed. I'm assuming because it can't theme the built in swype on the droid x. I just don't know how to remove the built in swype and install the swype beta on my x. Hopefully someone out there can help us out. This stock swype theme is getting boring lol.

Reaction score
Oh well that's an easy one :) go to beta.swype.com to sign up for the beta. Go to the market and grab a root explorer like super manager. Download the swype installer through the link emailed to you and then when getting force closes, go to /system/lib/swypecore.co and delete that and eveything will work! Make sure you mount with R/W so you can delete that file! Good luck :)

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

OP
M

mikehal38

Reaction score
Thank you for the reply. I figured it would be simple. I can't stand this boring swype theme any longer lol.

OP
M

mikehal38

Reaction score
Ok I think I did everything correct but I'm getting a force close when I try to use the swype installer... at this point I have the built in swype disabled but I can't get the swype beta to install. I downloaded the installer, deleted that file, then I get the force close and can't do anything... I backed up the file if I need to start over.

OP
M

mikehal38

Reaction score
Ok I got it all figured out. There is actually a tutorial on swypes webpage that tells you how to do it. There were a couple other files I had to rename our delete in order to get it to work. Thanks again for your help.

Darkside86

Reaction score
I remember when I had my original droid, there was ways to theme swype, there was a thread devoted to it, and if I remember right you had to do it with metamorph. Not sure if this would work on the x but I think it's worth trying.

pistol_pete

Reaction score
Ok I got it all figured out. There is actually a tutorial on swypes webpage that tells you how to do it. There were a couple other files I had to rename our delete in order to get it to work. Thanks again for your help.

Could you link to that tut?

Reaction score
Ok I think I did everything correct but I'm getting a force close when I try to use the swype installer... at this point I have the built in swype disabled but I can't get the swype beta to install. I downloaded the installer, deleted that file, then I get the force close and can't do anything... I backed up the file if I need to start over.

Sorry Mike! I figured you had a custom rom on there and posted only what you had to do if you had a rom. Unfortunately I was wrong and you didn't have a custom rom and had to delete two extra file but here is a link to that tutorial he was talking about:

Tutorial: Installing Beta Swype on Droid X

OP
M

mikehal38

Reaction score
I actually just recently went back to stock .340 because for some reason I actually enjoy the built in blur. I used the blurred darkslide which was nice but my phone seems to like stock better. I probably should have clarified that anyways. I haven't tried themeing yet but I'm already liking the updated swype. It has more features and seems to work a lot more smoothly.

Reaction score
I actually just recently went back to stock .340 because for some reason I actually enjoy the built in blur. I used the blurred darkslide which was nice but my phone seems to like stock better. I probably should have clarified that anyways. I haven't tried themeing yet but I'm already liking the updated swype. It has more features and seems to work a lot more smoothly.

Yeah, I don't know why they don't update the build in swype!

OP
M

mikehal38

Reaction score

Yeah, I don't know why they don't update the build in swype!

I was thinking the same thing. I believe I had version 1.6 or something and the new version was 2.something so it was pretty old.

kwest12

Reaction score
I haven't themed swype myself, but I have been researching it. I'm not completely certain I know exactly what to do yet or that I'll even try it out, but I'm gonna post links to the threads that seem to be most helpful. They all deal with using metamorph to theme swype btw.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/team-fusion/62702-metamorph-themes-swype.html

[MetaMorph]Swype Themes: Voice Input only - xda-developers (not sure if these themes will work for the droid x b/c I think they are meant for the vibrant which has a 800x480 resolution while the droid x has a 854x480 resolution... may want to post and ask the question before you start attempting to use them)

[SKIN]Gingerbread SWYPEv0.3(QVGA/HVGA/WVGA/FWVGA 2.6/2.15)+How to change marker color - xda-developers

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...ing-swype-gingerbread-roms-2.html#post1305265 (I'm not sure if we'd need to use this method yet, but it's nice to have another way of doing things if we run into snares)

Soooo yeah, I think it can be done, I'm just not sure the legwork it requires is really worth it for me. I may just wait till swype wises up and includes the ability to incorporate themes easily within the app itself (I think they maybe said that was going to happen in the future at some point).